Saturday, July 7, 2012

Chapter Sixty-Nine: Best Laid Plans Often Go Awry



Jon was up early while Devon was down at the shop with Josh to prepare for their few days away. Jared hadn’t contacted her since the picture message he’d sent her of him and Jon and as far as he was concerned it could stay that way.

He zipped up two sports bags with his and Devon’s things and dropped them by the front door for the driver. He wasn’t one to run out on things but Richard agreed that this was the best thing for the situation, right now. He’d called his parents and now his thumb hovered over Dorothea’s number. He’d been in two minds to tell her what was really going on but now that it was so real he didn’t have a choice as she had to be aware what was happening. Especially for the kids.

He’d consulted with Richard who obviously knew a whole lot more about psychopaths than he did and Richard had suggested he needed to tell his ex-wife so they could at least be vigilant and have some security. It was unlikely that his family was a target but now he wasn’t going to take the risk.

“Hello.” She answered it hastily. Jon figured she would be running from one end of Jersey to the other as she usually did with her own side-projects.

“Hi Dottie, it’s me.”

“Dottie? You haven’t called me that in ages Jon. What’s up?”

“I’m leaving town for a few days. I’m heading to St Barth’s with Devon.”

“Well--that’s great. You don’t need to check in with me when you want a get-laid fest you know that right?”

He chuckled. “No, I don’t. But I need to tell you why we’re leaving as I want you to be aware in the coming days.”

The line went silent and then a door closed. “Ok, I can hear you properly now. What’s going on? What have you done?”

Jon rolled his eyes and then took a deep breath. “I haven’t done anything. Devon’s ex-boyfriend is in town and he's a nut job. He’s after Devon - well or me.”

Dot laughed but then stopped when she realized Jon wasn’t. “So it’s not just stalking--it’s more serious than that?”

Jon raked his hand through his hair and tapped his knuckles against the railing. “Yeah it is more serious. Devon left him behind in New Zealand for the right reasons and he’s done some time. So he’s a little angry.”

“Jesus. So call the police?”

“I have.” It wasn't a complete lie, Richard was technically the police but Dorothea would be insistent on it otherwise. “They said to lay low--as soon as he’s detected being here he’ll be deported. So that’s why I made the decision to get out of here for a few days or a week. We’ll see how it goes but I wanted to be honest with you because I think we need to get a guy watching you guys.”

She laughed. “Oh you’re not serious? We’re not the royal family.”

“Dottie. I wouldn’t suggest it if I didn’t think that there was an element of risk. It’s slight but I’m not willing to take that when you and the kids are concerned.”

“What did he do time for?”

“He robbed a bank.” He left out the fact Devon did as well. Dorothea would never understand that and he’d promised Devon that this would stay between them.

“Ok-god.” She blew her breath out on the phone and then sighed. “Ok, do what you think is right and I’ll go along with it. But the kids better not be impacted here.”

“They won’t be as long as we have some protection. He’s more interested in either Devon or money and he knows I’ll pay it to protect her.”

“Jesus Jon, I don’t want to interfere but are you sure you’re doing the right thing here, with her? She’s not going to do one over on you or anything?”

He wasn’t angry that she had suggested it, she only knew what he’d told her. So he couldn’t blame her for asking it. “No, she’s not like that. I know her. I promise. She’s lovely and I love her.”

“Well I’m glad. It’s about time you found someone more stable than the one night stands you were having.”

“Dottie...” he warned. But again Dorothea was only stating the obvious like she always had.

“I’m just saying. You do so much better when you’re in a relationship. You like the company - no matter how much you won’t admit it.”

His ex-wife still knew him well. She should, they’d still been together just under twenty years before they separated. “I’ll give you that. You’ve met her. You’d know. You judge a good character.”

“Yes and Devon was lovely. Steph thinks the world of her. Especially after she arranged that job for her and Jesse, well he thinks she’s hot. He won’t admit that to me but I heard him being teased by Steph.”

Jon laughed. It still hurt that he didn’t have that day to day interaction with his kids like he used to as he imagined the way Steph would relentlessly tease Jesse. But he’d give it right back to his older sister.

“I did know that. How is her boyfriend?”

“Chase is a good kid. When you get back you should meet him.”

“Uh, we’ll see. I probably should so I can talk to him man to man.”

“Oh she’d just love that! Seriously Jon. If you think we need this you just let me know what to do next and I’ll make sure we’re accounted for at any time. But if you even think there is any danger, even a pinch - you have to tell me. No matter what. And if anything happens with you and Devon.”

Jon nodded. “I can do that. I’ll keep in touch via e-mail but will call if there are any developments. I have Josh with us, so I’ll get him to get hold of Mike Rew and get you someone.” His chest was tight. He secretly wished the lights would come back on and the director would yell cut and he could go back to his real life, where there were no psychopaths. Just him and Devon.

“Ok-good. Are you ok?”

“Of course.” He lied. “Devon is the one I’m worried about but she’ll be fine once I get her away from here.” He wouldn’t fall apart now, not when so many people were depending on him.

“Take care Jon and I need to go. Give the boys a call later, they miss you.” His heart sank. He’d been so wrapped up in all this that he’d not spent as much time as he’d hoped with them.

“I will. I’ll call once we’re settled on the island. Thanks Dorothea. For being good about this.”

“That’s ok. Just be careful and keep in touch with me.”

He smiled as they said their goodbyes and disconnected. He needed a drink. And a smoke. In that order. The sooner Jared was out of their lives the better and the sooner he got Devon away from his clutches it would be better.

It would be ok. He may have had to say it a few times with feeling, but it would be ok.

~

“You’re the best, what would I do without you?” Devon hugged Jonathan as she finished handing over the week's appointments and plans.

“I’m not sure I should be glad you are going to be someone safe, or be insanely jealous you’re going to be on a tropical beach island for a romantic getaway.”

She shrugged. “I don’t feel like it’s a holiday even though guess it is. I feel funny about the whole thing if I’m honest.”

Jonathan rubbed her arm. “You’ll be safe. That is the main thing here Devon and so will Jon.”

“I know and that’s the main thing but god. I’m just - being silly.” She finished.

Jonathan picked up her hand. “What in the blue blazed mercy is that?” He asked admiring her ring.

She grinned. “That’s my ring Jon bought me.”

“This is Versani, just down the road and this is platinum. You realize I could retire off this ring?”

“Oh stop.” She smiled as Jonathan admired it. No one had ever bought her anything that came close in sentimental value.

“I’m serious this must be worth thousands, it’s gorgeous and thick. Maaaan.” Jonathan said as he dropped her hand. “There is going to be one serious engagement ring.”

She rolled her eyes. “I’m going. We need to go to the airport to catch the Jet.”

Jonathan snorted. “Oh well we wouldn’t want to miss the jet now, would we? Look how far you’ve come Miss Devon. A city girl from New Zealand to catching private jets with rock stars.”

She sighed and flicked her hair back. “It’s a little surreal at times and this will sound corny. But I don’t notice that. I mean I do, he’s amazingly wealthy obviously but I just don’t see it. I just see him. My Jon.”

“God-you’re going to make me cry. Just hurry up and go would you?” Jonathan said shoving her gently in the direction of the door.

“I’ll call you.”

“Don't you dare!” He said as he pushed her again.

“Ok, I’m going, I’m going.” She laughed as Josh stood up by the waiting area near the door for her.

“I’m ready to go Josh.”

“Let’s go then!” He held the door open as she blew a kiss to Jonathan and stepped out onto the footpath.

“So you’re used to being dragged away to tropical destinations at a moment’s notice?” She asked as she fell into step with him back up the cobblestones of Mercer street.

“All part of the job, Jon gets around, always has with his line of work.”

“I guess so.”

“Hey! Excuse me sir.” A woman yelled after him as they came to stop by the doors to Jon’s penthouse.

Devon stopped as Josh turned as the blond woman grinned broadly. “Have we met?”
Josh asked quickly flicking a glance back at Devon. “Go inside Devon.” He instructed. “I'll follow you behind.”

Devon nodded and walked into the penthouse.

“Miss Scott. The elevator is out so you’ll need to take the stairs.”

“No problem.” Awesome. Least it was only four floors and she wasn’t wearing six inch heels today.

She jogged up a couple of flights and stopped thinking she should wait for Josh, as she rounded to the third she stopped and her breath caught in her throat as she stared into the eyes of her past. “Oh god.” She breathed. She heart pounded in her chest and her fingers curled around the railing in the stairwell.

Jared was stockier and more studier than he used to be. His frame had filled out with muscle and hair was cropped and blond. His steely blue eyes shot straight to her knees.

“Long time no see baby.”

As if he could read her mind before she even did it, she took one step back and he lunged for her. The impulse to scream was muffled as his hand slapped across her mouth. The handkerchief was shoved over her mouth and nose and the fumes of something chemically potent overwhelmed her as she sank in his arms. She tried to fight, tried to wiggle but his mouth was hard against her ear.

“Just relax Devvy. It’ll be ok. You’re just going to sleep before I fuck with you.”

She fell limp in his arms and flashes of white brick of the stairwell swirled with his face. Her hands clawed feebly as her strength melted away from her and the world went black.

15 comments:

  1. ...meep :-o...I can't even form a coherent comment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my.... I don't know what to say .... o.o

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!! Please tell me someone stops that psycho from hurting Devon. Jared you better not hurt her. Oh Jon is going to be beyond furious when he finds out that Jared has Devon. Great chapter Kiwi. Hope we don't have to wait long to find out what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew something bad would happen but I didn't think THIS! Please write the next one, Jon is going to FREAK the F out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Glad you are writing the next chapter cos I don't think we can all wait too long before the next one!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh crap! Jon will be pissed when he finds out. Hurry with the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're busy pounding that keyboard of yours

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh!!! Get writing please Kiwi - you can't leave it too long like this! Just knew there was something like this round the corner. Wonder what Jared's ransom will be?

    ReplyDelete
  9. damn... I knew someting was wrong when I read ...“Hey! Excuse me sir.” A woman yelled after him as they came to stop by the doors to Jon’s penthouse"
    and “Miss Scott. The elevator is out so you’ll need to take the stairs.”

    damn...
    damn...
    damn...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get ready for an angry Jon!! He is going to be PISSED!! Jared you are going down.

    In addition, I just wanted to say that I loved the conversation between Jon and Dorothea. I thought that Dorothea would get all freaky and yell, blame Devon and Jon etc etc but you wrote it perfectly. She was calm and said that she trusted him to look after the situation! High Five for that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. md;sknmkfd;i[[oklmc,ad;kf[qemgv.,/fD ..Sorry....Cant speak right now...NEXT!!!!!..PLEAZZZ!!!!!!
    Julie....jbj64

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?