Monday, July 2, 2012

Chapter Sixty-Eight: Trapped




They arrived home at Jon’s penthouse that evening and while she was thrilled that both her father and Jon were getting on like a house on fire. She had a sense of impending doom that she couldn’t seem to shake. They were right, the only way to make sure Jared didn’t come after them again was to catch him out in the first place. But she didn’t want to face him.

It wasn’t that she was scared of him, well there was that. It was more that she didn't want to see her old self again in his eyes and she was afraid that she would. She wasn’t that girl anymore and she didn’t want to even see where she went wrong in her own life and that is what she would have to do if she faced Jared.

“Thanks again Richard.” Jon shook her father’s hand before giving her arm a squeeze and leaving them both at the door of the penthouse.

“Are you ok? You’ve been quiet since we left the restaurant Devon.”

She smiled and leaned against the doorframe facing him. “I’m just a bit scared-of a lot of things.” It felt good to be honest with him, one thing she hadn’t really done in such a long time with her father.

“I know-you’ve got a good man here Devon. As long as we’re careful we’ll be ok you’ll just have to trust me on that one.”

She looked down as scuffed her feet. “I still can’t believe you’re here.” She looked up and met his eyes. “You know I’ll never forget what you’ve done, ever. You saved me.”

He smiled and then coughed quickly. “Something told me you were worth saving and I wasn’t wrong.”

Her chest grew tight and the tears spilled down her cheeks without effort. “I don’t want to lose any of this and I’m petrified I will... you... or Jon...”

“Hey.” His stretched out to her and rubbed her arm and pulled her in. She closed her eyes as her father’s familiar scent swept over her instantly reminding her of his strength and security. She held on tight to him as the tears came.

“Devon. Come on, I know you better than that.” He lifted her chin up to meet his gaze and she smiled at his teary eyes.

“Where is the girl that so sure of herself? So confident that she could take on the world. I know she’s here somewhere.”

She sniffed and smiled. “I’m here. I just needed that.” She wiped her tears away from her cheeks. “Who am I kidding, I’ve needed that for six years.” Her father’s arms relaxed over her shoulders and he squeezed them.

“Me too, love.”

“Right.” She said her resolve now stronger as she dug her heels in. “We wait for him to call and then we go from there.” She repeated what her father had advised earlier in the night.

“You got it. And please, don’t go anywhere without someone with you, whether it’s Jon or the guy he’s hired ok?”

She nodded. It felt ridiculous, she wasn’t a superstar and she didn’t deserve this kind of attention but she knew her father was right. The more they were apart from each other, the better chance Jared had of doing something stupid.

“And work?”

She closed her eyes. The other sore point of this whole thing. Work was just another easy angle for Jared to find her. “I’ll talk to Jonathan tommorow. He’ll be more than happy to cover for me. He knows what’s happened but I should tell him everything so he’s aware.”

He brushed back a strand of hair from her face. “That’s my girl. Spend a few days with your boyfriend. He offered to take you away for a few days by jet. I think you should take him up on it.”

She shrugged. “I feel like I’m running away again if I do that.” And if she stayed, well she was trapped but at least in a way she was facing what she needed to face.

“Devon. You aren’t running away from this. Just think about it ok?”

She nodded. “I will Daddy.”

He smiled graciously at her again and they met in a tight embrace. “Call me if you need anything otherwise I’ll be back in touch tomorrow.”

She pressed her cheek into his chest and closed her eyes. “I love you. I didn’t say it enough when I needed to so I’m saying it now.”

“I love you too darling. Just keep safe for me.” He kissed the top of her head and left her standing there as they smiled as the elevator doors closed. She breathed out a big sigh and walked back into the penthouse. Soft music floated around her and she followed it to the source in the living area where an old Otis Redding song was playing. Jon had opened a bottle of wine and poured her a glass and handed it to her.

“You ok?” He whispered as his lips brushed against hers ever so sweetly.

She balanced herself with the wine and took a sip. “It’s a little surreal but I’m doing ok. You and Dad have been so good to me.”

He polished off his glass. “Have you ever thought that it’s because you're worth it?”

She chuckled. “Well I do keep you satisfied...”

He popped the cork and topped up their glasses. “I meant you silly as in you. Not how much head you give me-although that can be accounted for in the final tally.” He smirked and wiggled his eyebrows.

“You’re such a shit.” Devon said as she perched on the edge of the couch.

“A drunk shit. Better take advantage of me before I collapse into a wine-induced coma.”

“What’s wrong old man? Can’t handle your drink?” She asked amused as his boyish grin lit up his eyes.

“Hey-I just survived the 411 from my girlfriend’s father.”

Devon frowned. “He gave you the 411?”

“Hell yeah he did. Made sure I could take care of you and that I didn’t whore around.” His words were beginning to slur, it was adorable but what made her heart swell was knowing her father was still looking out for her.

“And he used those exact words? Whore around?”

“Well no but that’s what he meant.”

“I’m so sorry.” She said as she broke into a laugh.

“Ha! Liar.”

She placed her wine down and slid onto his knee. “No I’m not. C’mere.” She kissed him gently and groaned as his hand slid up her thigh. Her fingers teased the v-line in his white shirt and the cross pendant that hang there.

“Are you sure you’re ok?” He asked again as their noses bumped.

“Why wouldn’t I be--I have the two best men in the world looking out for me.” Their lips barely touched but the simplicity of the intimacy made her relax.

“It’s ok to be scared. I’m scared.” He admitted softly against her ear. She linked her hands in his and squeezed it.

“I know, I just want it to be over so we can move on. I want to be able to move on for good.”

His hand stroked down her back lovingly. “We will. You’ll move in with me officially, you’ll marry me we’ll have a baby...live in my big old house in Jersey.”

Her brow arched. “Baby? Really? Even though you have four of them already.” They hadn’t discussed it as was early days but the thought of it in the back of her mind made her smile. Never had she ever considered having children from the position she was in with the money and being away from home so illegally but just maybe if this worked out for the best she could. She really could.

“I could be convinced if it was with you. You know I want to marry-” His eyes were glassy and soft but she stopped him.

“Shhhh.” She put her finger against his lips. “I know. I just don’t want to jinx this incase it doesn’t work out that way.”

He grabbed her wrist gently and then squeezed it. “I told you, no asshole has ever-or ever gets between what I want. And I meant that.”

His words were reassuring but unfortunately she was more than aware what Jared was capable of. “I believe you and I want all of it and more with you. I really do, more than anything.” She wanted redemption as well. She wanted a way that wasn’t just honesty to put all this right. But first she had to make sure that she survived this and the one she loved.

“I wish you’d reconsider me taking you away from this, I’m in half a mind to do it anyway.”

She snorted. “Kidnap me?”

“You gotta a problem with that?” He asked as his arms tightened around her waist and his scent mingled with hers as he nipped her chin.

“What are your terms?” She asked as she slid her hand inside his shirt against his warm skin.

“You’ll just have to wait and see. So, is that a yes I’ll be sending for the jet for tomorrow to whisk us away to St Barts?”

She bit down on her lip to hide the smile. “Maybe on one condition.”

“Yes you may bring the red shoes.” He added.

She laughed and swept back his hair from his forehead and placed a kiss there. “No silly - that I can go to work first and just make sure Jonathan, is ok to cover me.”
Jon frowned. “Ok you can go-with Josh.”

“Deal. I have to make sure everything is ok. You understand that right?”

“Yes I do my little control freak.”

She pinched his nipple playfully. “Look who is talking.” His arms engulfed her and he swept her up as he stood. Moments later they were naked, tangled in sheets lying diagonally across his californian king. He was snoozing with his arm across his belly and out onto the bed. She had tucked herself under it and laid against his side.

She gasped as two hands gripped her neck and she struggled to breath. Her feet kicked and her lungs shrunk as she tried to scream but it didn’t come. She choked on her words as her breath burned in her throat. God no!

“You’ll pay you little bitch. Say goodbye!” Flaming red eyes locked down on her and Jared’s smile spread wide across his face. She had to reach out, call to Jon... Something but she couldn’t. She was slipping.

“Devon!”

She shook as her chest squeezed tight. She had to fight, she had to stay aware so she could fight. Stay above the surface and not slide into the darkness that was creeping in.


Jon! Help me.


She reached out but no one was there except the cruel laugh.

“Devon!”

Her eyes popped open and her chest gave way as she heaved a breath in. Jon was sitting up holding onto her shoulders. It was dream. God, just a dream. Sweat poured down her temples. “Oh god.” She breathed relieved as she clutched her chest.

“Relax, you’re safe. It was just a dream baby.” He tugged her in and laid them back down. She gripped his arms as her breathing regulated and her heart pounded inside her chest.

She closed her eyes and breathed as Jon held her. “He was choking me. I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t see you...”

“Hey, it’s just a dream. Just a dream.” He soothed as he placed a kiss on the top of her head.

She held on tight with Jon’s weight against her.

“We’ll be leaving tomorrow. There is no doubt about that.” Jon confirmed.

She nodded. “What about the plan? To lure him in?”

“For now, there has to be a new plan. We can’t risk it. I won’t have it. I’ll call your dad in the morning and let him know. Jared won’t know where we are. You’ll be fine. We can work it out from the safety of an island.”

“Ok.”

What if they never found Jared? He could make a living out of keeping her on edge if he wanted. It would be a way for exact revenge and a cruel one. Her toes curled at the thought and her belly twisted like snakes. How far was he willing to go? Did he want their money or did he want one of them dead?

She buried her head into Jon’s chest and tried like hell to block it from her mind. It was ironic that she felt so secure but on the other hand. So very trapped.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Kiwi...so well written...I was hoping that scene was a gonna be a nightmare but..Wow...it was so powerful that I was never sure thru it....Yes Jon get Devon away from there but Im kinda hoping Daddy goes with them..might spoil there vaccy but at least he'll be safe...Great Chapter!!!!!!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Kiwi it's not nice to scare me like that..I thought Devon's dream was real! That scared the hell out of me!! I agree with Jon, they need to come up with a different plan to lure Jared out, one that doesn't call for Devon to be directly involved if at all possible. My spidey senses are telling me that something bad is hanging just around the corner, jusat not sure if it will be Jon, Devon, or Richard. Loving the father/ daughter moments at the door, it brought a tear to my eye. Now get yourselves packed and on that plane pronto. Thank you for another great chapter Kiwi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That nightmare terrified me. I love that she and her daddy are reconnecting so well. And Drunk Jon is super cute. I'd love to see a little Dev/Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I hope dad goes with them too. Don't quite like the idea of leaving him behind. Great chapter and hope there are more to come soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, scary stuff that nightmare! Hoping Jon whisks Dev away to white sands and blue waters for a little Red Shoe escapism. But will Jared find a way to get to her there too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Thanks guys :) sorry I've been a bit scattered but work was a wee bit crazy there for a bit. I should be back to rights now :) and thank you for the comments always appreciated and love that you're loving the journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW my heart was pounding on this chapter I really thought Jared choked Devon, but, thankfully it was a dream and Jon will be whisking her away to St.Bart's so she can be herself and not worry. Jon and Devon can deal with Jared when they get home. Life is way too short!!!

    I can't wait to read more Kiwi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knowing how evil Kiwi is....I would not be surprised if danger?Jared is lurking under their bed...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drunk Jon...such a cutie. But then again, every Jon is. Devon's dreams was so realistic. I can't help but have an unnerving feeling. Can't wait to see what happens

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?