Thursday, August 2, 2012

Chapter Seventy-Four: Aftermath




Jon popped his knuckles as they re-entered the penthouse. Richard had been taken into custody and Jon had called his lawyer to meet him at the police station. It was the least he could do. She’d been so quiet on the way home, content to sit with her head on his shoulder with her eyes closed.

He’d proposed they should call into the hospital to get her checked out but she’d protested that she just wanted to go home. The idea of what had happened to her rankled him and he didn’t know what to say or do for her.

“Dev, baby. Did you want me to make you something to eat? Have you even eaten?”

She looked up at him and managed a small smile but it wasn’t anything close what he usually saw back from her. The sadness hid in her eyes. “I haven’t. I’d like a shower first, if that’s ok?”

“Of course. Are you ok by yourself?”

She nodded quietly. “Yes, why don’t you make one of your grilled cheese specials for me?”

He relaxed a little. “I would love to. Just call me if you need anything.”

“I will.” She walked away from him defeated and he chewed on the tip of his thumb nail. “Devon, wait.”

“What is it?” She asked softly, turning.

He stepped towards her, his eyes meeting hers and his thumbs brushing over her wrists. “Are you ok?

She winced as he pushed her sweater up and gasped at the red angry marks that dug into her skin.

“I was bound.”

The pit in his stomach sank as he tried so desperately not to imagine it in his head. “You should be seeing someone. Does it hurt anywhere else?”

“I’m just sore, muscles ache. Honestly I’m ok.”

He didn’t want to push her, she’d been through hell and back but he didn’t know what else to do for her. “Are you ok, really ok?”

Her gaze looked down to the ground. “Not really, but I will be.”

He drew her in and she sighed as he wrapped his arms around her and locked her against his chest. No one would ever harm her again if he had his way and he would make sure of it. His fingers threaded through her hair and he kissed the top of her head. “I was so scared I’d lose you.” He whispered breathing in her scent that still lingered on her.

“Me too.” She fisted his sweater, holding on tight.

His hands rubbed over her shoulders and soothed her back and he closed his eyes briefly. He would never stop holding her if that’s what it took to make her come through this. “I’ll make sure your father has every support possible ok?”

“We shouldn’t have left him like that.” She whispered. It had been both Richard and Jon’s idea to get her home and get some sleep and food.

“We’ll go back in the morning, after you’ve had some food and a few hours sleep.”

She didn’t reply. He knew she was shattered on the inside, how could anyone not be? She was stronger than him in ways and he’d be a basket case after what happened to her. He tipped her chin up to meet her gaze.

“Hey.” He said softly.

Tears shone in her eyes and it hit his heart. “Hey.”

He leaned in and their lips brushed before he stepped in closer for the kiss. He cupped the back of her neck and angled the kiss deeper. Even broken she was still beautiful, and still his Devon.

They broke apart but their noses bumped. “I want you to know that you can talk to me.” He swiped a lone tear from her cheek. “You gotta tell me when you’re not ok too. That’s all I ask. I won’t smother you but just telling me has to help.”

She closed her eyes and her lip trembled for a moment. “I don’t know what to think. I’m happy. So happy you’re here with me but--I feel.” She shook her head. “I feel so bad.”

He twisted her hair in his finger. “That’s natural baby. You shouldn’t feel bad. We’re alive and your Dad will be fine. We’ll make sure of that.” He wasn’t sure he believed it himself but he had to believe that it could be. For her.

“I know. I don’t deserve--”

He pressed his finger against her lip. “I’ve told you about that before. Don’t you ever think that because you and I know it’s not true? It’s just the shock and horror talking.”

She nodded. “I should have a shower.” Her fingers smoothed down his chest.

“You’ll feel better after it. Trust me.”

He let her go and disappeared into the kitchen. He dug into the cupboard and wrestled out a fry pan, a loaf of bread and some cheese. He jammed on the kettle to make some tea and stood at the counter and took a deep breath.

She was safe, he could deal with the rest later she was safe and so was he. It was nearly five-am but he was done. He wanted to crawl into bed beside her once he’d fed them and make sure she slept before he would.
Then he’d deal with tomorrow.

~

Hot pins drummed against her skin as she stood in the shower and let the hot water ease away some of the aches and pains. Jon was right it did make her feel better. She was tired. Every bone in her body ached and her arms still throbbed from being bound to the bed and she just wanted to sleep. She’d scrubbed herself red with soap until she felt remotely clean again.

Jared was dead.

She wasn’t happy he was dead. She was sad. It was her fault ultimately that he was so angry and out for revenge. But it had come down to the only option to stop him. It was a hard call and she wasn’t convinced what had happened was right at all.

There had been no choice in the end though. His intent was to kill. And she had to remember that.

The rumble in her belly came as she dried off and wrapped the towel around herself tightly. She slathered herself in moisturizer and brushed her teeth. She slid into her robe and slippers and padded downstairs led by the smell of toasted cheese.

Jon had laid out some tea and water and two plates piled with a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches. He was worried about her and it showed in the way he was tentative about moving around her. Like she might break.

“Looks good.”

“Good shower?” He asked as he poured her a cup of tea.

“Yes amazingly.” She winced as she reached for her cup.

“What’s wrong?”

She swallowed. “Just hurts.”

“I wish you’d let me call someone. I can get them to come here if you want them too.”

She half-smiled. He was trying so hard and being super sweet with everything. And he’d been out there with her. “Let me sleep on it. I put some cream on them in the bathroom. I found some cortisone cream in the cabinet.”

He sat opposite her at the table and slid her plate closer. “He didn’t hurt you any other way did he?”

“No, he threatened it once but I think it was just a threat.” Her skin crawled at the memory of his hands on her skin, taunting her. “Can we just eat tonight? I’m not ready to rehash it all.”

“Of course Devon. Shit-sorry.” He looked awkward and she felt awful for it.

“Don’t be. I know you’re worried. I’d be worried if it was you.”

He grinned. “You gonna eat that?”

“Yes Dad.” She bit into the sandwich and it tasted delicious. Jon couldn’t cook much but he could make a damn fine grilled cheese sandwich. She tried to be grateful and happy to not make him worry. After a sandwich and a full mug of tea and two glasses of water she was starting to feel normal. Her head was heavy but she was content enough.

Jon handed her a bottle of painkillers. “I’d take a couple to take the edge off before bed. I had some vidicon for my back that I rarely use if you’re in pain.”

“These will be fine.” She threw back a couple and sighed.

“Tired?”

She nodded and looked anxiously towards the stairs. She wanted to go to bed but she didn’t want to be alone, she didn’t know if he’d want to sleep with her tonight. She wasn’t sure what she wanted. Being alone in a bedroom wasn’t the answer.

“You go on up, I’ll come up when I’ve cleaned up.”

“You will?”

He wiped his hands with a napkin and grinned. “Yes, of course I am. I’m cleaning up and then I’ll come up and sleep with you. If that’s what you want. I want you to be comfortable. I didn’t know if you needed space or-” He scratched his head.

Relief fluttered in her belly. “Thank you but I’d sleep better if you were there.”

“I’ll be there.” He promised as he cleared away the plates.

As she lay in between the sheets the rain hammered the windows and the wind whipped the building. She snuggled down on her side. It was good to be safe again and clean. And when she was feeling up to it she’d go back to her salon and see everyone. Her toes curled at the thought of being out there again. Jared was gone but it was still so raw.

Maybe she could stay here a few days. Right here in this bed. It’s what people did after traumas right? It wouldn’t be unusual.

Jon came in and peeled off his sweater. “I’ll just have a quick shower.”

“I was thinking.” She began.

“Yeah?” He asked as he stepped out of his jeans.

“I should stay here for a few days while things settle down.”

“Well I kind of assumed you’d just live here now.” He asked as he threw his clothes in the hamper.

“No, I mean here in the penthouse. Take some time off.”

“Well, that’s probably a good idea to rest. I can clear my schedule-”

“You can?” She asked quickly” She grinned at the thought of bunkering down in his bed watching television all day together. Hell, when was the last time that she even did that?

“Dev-I’ll take care of you. If you need me to be here. I’ll be here. We can go and visit your father tomorrow.”

“Ok.” She agreed. At least Jon would be with her outside. So it couldn’t be so bad, right?

“Good.”

Jon pulled on a pair of boxers and slid into bed beside her.

“Since when did you start wearing boxers?” She asked with a cheeky jab.

He grinned and lay opposite her. “Since I have to lie in bed with a beautiful woman and behave.”

She chuckled. “I want to mis-behave.” She yawned. “But I’m so sleepy.”

Her eyes closed and Jon slid closer to her, wrapping himself around her. “Just sleep Devon. We have the rest of our lives to misbehave.” Her fingers lazily ran through his chest hair and she rested her cheek against his skin. He was warm and the scent of Irish Spring drifted over her.

She lifted her head to kiss him gently on the lips before sleep claimed her.

Happily.

6 comments:

  1. Aw Poor Devon...& I luv Jon being so protective & sweet with her...Hopefully Jons Lawyer does his thing for Richard & he is freed...if not.....then there is a whole lot of story still to go....Yay!!!!.....lol
    Julie..

    ReplyDelete
  2. She should've been checked by a doctor. Sounds like she may need therapy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think her therapy will be Jon! Hes being wonderful to her! Hope her dad is going to be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how Jon is being so loving and tender with Devon,just Jon being there for her will go a long way in her recovery. She needs to feel safe again and the only place she feels safe is in Jon's arms, so Jon open those strong arms and cradle her. I hope the police let Richard go the family has been through enough thanks to Jared. Great chapter Kiwi : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story......Jon really loves Devon he is being protective and taking care of her. She needs to take time off regroup and take care of herself. Jon will be there for her, but, I agree with the comments so far Devon should be checked out by a Dr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bit worried about Richard and how he will come out of this, but love that Jon is being so protective and caring of Devon. Hope he finally manages to whisk her off to St Barts for some R and R.

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?