Monday, April 2, 2012

Chapter Forty-Nine: Love & War





Devon smiled as she half-woke and snuggled further into Jon’s chest. The steady rise and fall of his breathing curled her toes as she sighed content against his skin. It was another day. She was focused now and she had to make the business successful so that she could pay back the big mountain of money that the break-in was going to cost her.

“Please tell me it’s really three am and you’re waking me to give me a sensational blow job.” He grumbled as she wiggled in his arms as she stretched.

“You wish. It’s six am and I need to get up.”

“God. What is with you and early? Your shop opens at nine, that’s a whole three hours away.”

She giggled. “You really are a vampire aren’t you?”

He laughed and cracked open one eye. “You really want to give me a reason to bite you?”

“I don’t know, I might enjoy it.” She threw the cover back and swung her legs over the side of the bed but squealed as his arm hooked around her middle and dragged her backwards.

His mouth scraped along her neck and his teeth nipped at her shoulder blade as his body pressed up against hers. “I want you.”

She rubbed his hand on her belly. “You always want me for that.”

“I can’t help it. You taste so sweet.”

She shivered as his teeth gently bit into her neck and his hand slid away from under hers and down her belly and his finger traced along the edge of her thigh.

“And I mean sweet everywhere.” He whispered against her skin.

She closed her eyes and the rush of heat from his mouth shot up to her ear.

“You’re killing me. I have to get going.”

“Fifteen minutes, that’s all I’m asking.”

The ease of her and Jon together had become something she’d depended on. Her life hadn’t been easy and she certainly couldn't remember the last time she’d had so much sex.

“Fifteen and no more.” She sighed with a giggle as he catapulted her back down onto the bed.

~

After her shower she wound herself in a towel and slathered some moisturizer over herself as she walked back into the bedroom. She was surprised to see that Jon was dressed and sitting on the end of the bed waiting for her.

“So I guess sex does wake you up? I was expecting to leave you up here snoring your head off.” She plucked two hoops from out of her jewellery box and hooked them through her ears.

“Well I wanted to talk to you before I headed off.” He said as he rested his hands on his lap.

She stepped into her panties and slid a skirt up her legs. “Oh? You look serious.”

“I am. Although you standing there half naked is making that impossible but it is important.” His lopsided grin usually melted her but she sensed something bad was coming.

She twisted her bra on and pulled a silk shirt over her head. “What is it?”

She slid into her red shoes and sat beside him on the bed.

“You have to be kidding me right?” He asked as he motioned to the shoes.

Her heart quickened but it wasn’t for his playful tone. Something was wrong and she going numb.

“What’s going on?” She asked seriously.

“Well. I’m worried about you.” He said earnestly as he took her hands in his.

Her brow creased. “Worried about me how?” Oh god. He couldn’t’ know, could he? Her stomach rolled and she swallowed.

“What on earth are you doing with a lot of cash on your premises? I mean it’s dangerous Devon.”

She sucked in a quick breath, half relief, half dread. “What do you mean? Just because I had five grand on the premises? I told you I made a mistake about that.”

He squeezed her hand. “It’s more than five grand. You must have at least twenty if you got the best guys on this side of New York in security out the same day. I know how they work. You have to pay those guys cash for that kind of prompt service.”

She shrugged. “And so what if I did? I don’t see how that’s relevant or any of your business to be honest.” She was trying her hardest not to jump down his throat at her defence. He was after all just trying to help her.

“Look. I’m just worried you’re getting the wrong advice from your bank guys and I want to help.”

Her brows shot up. “Help how?”

“Well, I called Miles and he’s an old family friend who happens to be my accountant. He’s very good and I explained about what happened with you.”

She drew her hands back from his. “You did huh?”

“He’s agreed to help. Give you some good advice.”

“I don’t need any advice.” She replied hastily and haughty.

“Relax Dev, he’s a good guy and whatever you have with him would be confidential. I wouldn’t even know.”

“Well that’s awfully good of you.” God. He went to his accountant about her? There was no way she was letting anyone near her books. No bloody way.

“I’m sensing a tone here. You’re not happy with me?” He folded his arms and rocked back.

“Well gee. You went you “your guy”” she punctuated with air quotes. “Without telling me. If the roles were reversed would you not feel the same way?”

“I would appreciate you offering to help.”

“Bullshit. You’re as much as a control freak if not more about this stuff than me.” She stood and raked her hand through her hair. “I don’t need any help Jon. I’ve done just fine on my own.”

“I don’t understand why you’re mad at me? You’re obviously not managing your cash flow effecting. Hell, I’m luckily if I have fifty bucks in my wallet let alone thousands just lying around.”

“Don’t insult what you don’t know. You don’t know what it’s been like for me.” She thundered it out of her mouth that the stunned silence that followed scared her. The amount of emotion she was on the brink of, nobody needed to see so she jammed it back down in her throat.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that. I just want to help you.” He stood and took her hands but she snatched them away. The bars of the cage melted inwards.

“No, please I think you should go.” She wanted to run but they were in her home. She had nowhere to run to and that scared her.

“So one fight and that’s it? You’re giving up just like that?”

Tears spilled down her cheeks. Dammit. “No. I just need to be alone. Please Jon, just go.” She turned away from him and closed her eyes wishing they could start this over again. It was the guilt that was eating her, from the inside out. It wasn’t about what he’d done and she knew it.

“Fine.” He snapped. He snatched his coat and stormed out the door. The slam thundered through the apartment and slammed into her heart. She choked on her tears and fumbled with the lock at the door behind him. He was the best thing to happen to her and he was only trying to help her but she couldn’t accept it. Why? Because he couldn’t know. He just couldn’t. If his accountant had any suspicion she was doubtful that now she’d be able to deny anything when it came to Jon, if he asked. Yes, his need to control everything was overwhelming and she knew in this instance he had her best interests at heart. What he didn’t know is he was getting too close, too close to the truth.

He’d opened his life, his family and his network to her and this is how she repaid him?

She twisted the lock and opened the door in the vain hope as empty as her heart. She was an idiot to think she could keep it locked away in her box forever and still indulge in everything she had yearned for.

An idiot.

It was such a stupid fight really. She had to decide if he was worth fighting for or if she’d made a lucky escape back into the Alcatraz of her own heart.

~

He couldn’t shake it. No matter how long and hard he thought about it. He couldn’t shake the fight from his head. By ten am he was leaning against the railing having the third smoke of the morning since he’d got home. He didn’t understand. Ok, he did. He may have been slightly out of line going to Miles without her consent but it wasn't as if he divulged any of her state secrets. Jesus Christ. The woman was a mine field. She’d been so receptive to everything else they’d discussed business wise that he didn't get her behaviour.

He rubbed his forehead. Maybe he’d underestimated her. Something was still nagging him at the back of his mind, something that he couldn’t get rid of. How did she end up with the money to start a business here in Soho? He knew the rents of the places around Mercer and they weren’t cheap. Canal Street drew in hordes of people daily and Soho was already well known for hot trendy retail.

Maybe she came from a well off family? Jon realized there was still a lot she didn’t know about her, he knew her inside now. But what about the past? It was obviously painful but he couldn’t push her and he knew it would just drive him crazy on top of everything else.

Fuck.

He took a deep draw in of smoke and puffed it out. “Dammit.”

Ok. He had gone a bit too far and she was right. If she’d done something with his finances behind his back she’d have probably been flamed by him for it. It just was not normal to have that much cash on site. Christ, he needed to just let her do what she did. Hell, she was pretty successful and knew what she was doing.

One of the reasons he fell in love with her.

Love.

He fucking loved her and he protected the ones he loved. It was what he did. Maybe he needed to explain that more to her. He was only ever trying to look out for her. In reality Devon didn’t need it, she had done fine all by herself. Just like she’d pointed out to him. It didn’t mean that he still didn’t want to. It was in his blood.

His phone rang and he answered it quickly. “Hello?”

“Hey-whoa that was quick. Expecting some hot phone sex?” Richie’s cheery voice bubbled down the line.

“Hey-Rich.”

“Gee-sound more excited please.” He quipped sarcastically.

“I think I fucked up.” Jon said simply rubbing his forehead.

“What? How?” Richie asked dropping the teasing.

“Devon. I did something I’m not proud of. I was trying to help and I made a mess.”

Richie let out a long whistle. “Oh, I see. Well you know you fucked up. There is progress by itself.”

“Fuck you.” Jon grumbled.

Richie chuckled. “C’mon who else is there to keep you honest?”

Jon snorted. “True.” And Richie was right whether he liked it or not.

“So, tell me over a few beers. I’ll have the OJ but you can drown your sorrows on me.”

Jon stood up. “You’re in New York already? I thought you weren’t coming till later in the week.”

“Caught an early flight. I want to catch up with a few old buddies of mine but we can do that later. I called your driver. He’s dropping me off so I’ll see you soon.”

“Early - hell, what time did you leave LA?”

“You don’t want to know. Let me come and sort out your love life. Now there’s something different.”

Jon laughed. “You’ll be lucky I don’t punch you when I see you.”

“Give it your best shot short-ass. I’ll beat you any day.”

It was a good thing Richie was in town a few days earlier for their writing session. It would be a good distraction and breathing space from Devon. He didn’t exactly want that but maybe it was best to back the fuck off for a day or so and let things simmer down.

Maybe.

11 comments:

  1. I'm getting curious more and more to know what skeletons she has in the closet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy here come the cracks. I really want to know too. I think whatever that is Jon won't be happy!

    Thank you for the fast update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish Devon would just fess everything to Jon that way we can find out too lol. Jon you need to back off and give Devon some breathing room, she will call when she is ready so don't push! Love how Jon and Richie interact with each other, especially the last line " Give it your best shot- short ass" so funny. Thank you for the quick update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah its getting interesting! We sooo have to find out what Devon has done soon. She needs to spill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! I didn't think Devon would take too kindly to Jon interfering!! Uncle Richie can sort it all out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're on a roll, Kiwi! This is awesome!
    Devon needs to spill the beans. Who knows, Jon could be forgiving??

    ReplyDelete
  7. GRRRRRRRRR!
    I feel like grabing her by the neck and shaking some sence into her! Tell him already!!! Before you lose him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting REALLY interesting now! The deeper hole Devon digs for herself the harder it will be to crawl out of. Will Jon be there to help pull her out? Can't wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh, oh. Jon is just one google away from the truth. Better tell him, Dev!

    P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Devon better spill whatever skeletons she has in the closet because Jon will find out whether she wants him to know or not there is always the internet. If I were Devon I would lay everything out on the table. What is she afraid of losing Jon?

    The suspense is killing me!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks guys, LOL always makes me smile.
    And yes, I promise you it is coming...very soon all shall be finally reveal.

    Will Jon accept it? Only time will tell ;)

    You guys are the bestest. And PS since its Easter you'll see a couple of updates :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?