Friday, March 30, 2012

Chapter Forty-Eight: Be Careful What You Wish For




Jon texted his accountant as he left Devon at the salon. He was worried. She was a smart business woman who on the outside appeared to have it all going for her but if he knew her like he thought he did, she wouldn’t ask him for help if she truly needed it. It puzzled him that she had so much cash on demand. It was one thing to have a few grand tucked away but he was
beginning to think it was a lot more than that.

Did she not trust American banks? Hell, he didn’t at the best of times but it was sure as shit safer to have your money tucked away there than just lying around in your business waiting to be stolen. The other thing that was puzzling him was that five grand was a lot of money for a small business like hers. Yet, she didn’t panic that she’d lost it, at least not in front of him.
He cracked his knuckles as he turned into Starbucks and nodded to the cashier. “Latte, Tall non-fat.” His phone buzzed in his pocket and he answered it while juggling some bills over to the cashier.

“Hi Jon its Miles here.” Miles, his accountant came through his ear over the garbled chatter in the coffee shop.

“Hey, I didn’t expect you to ring. How’s things?”

“You know, busy and we’re winding down to the Christmas rush. What can I do for you buddy, everything ok down in the rat race?”

Miles had been his accountant for as long as he could remember. An old family friend from Long Island, ex-marine now turned accountant that his Dad had trained with.

“Pretty good. This call isn’t so much about me. It’s about well-a friend that owns a business.”

“You are buying it?” Miles joked.

Jon laughed. “No, it’s a beauty shop.”

“Oh the girlfriend huh?”

Jon collected his drink from the end of the counter and busted out the door into the street. “My Pop’s been talking huh?”

“You know your old man. Said she’s a wee gem. Not like those Hollywood ladies you often date.”

“Jesus. Ok, yes it’s Devon. I’m worried about how she’s using her money or how much she stores on her.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well she seems to have a large stash and I’m going guess in the tens of thousands. Maybe twenty in her safe at work. She was robbed this morning but they got the petty cash which was five grand. I’m just worried she’s not using her money wisely.”

“Well. It varies how much money people do keep on site but that does seem like a large amount for such a small business. I can look up her in the tax records and see if she has a listed accountant.”

“Well I don’t want to if you’re breaching privacy.”

“No, I wouldn’t do that even for you Jonny boy but these are public records. If I know of the accountant I can tell you if they’re trustworthy. That’s what you’re worried about right? She’s not trusting one with her money.”

He scratched his head. He felt like an asshole doing it behind her back but if he could help her someway he would but he only wanted her to succeed. ”Devon Scott and the business is Allure Beauty.” There was muffled silence as Jon hopped over a couple of sidewalk performers gear.

“Huh.”

“What is it?” He asked quickly.

“No listed chartered accountants.”

“Thought that might be the case.”

“Did you want me to come into town and see her? See if I can help her out. Quite often small business owners just need advice on free cash flow handling and there are other ways to keep a track of things she may not know about.”

“That would be great but I better speak to her and make sure she’s ok with it. She’s not American so I don’t want to push her into something she’s not comfortable with.”

“Got it. Just flick me an email when you get an answer and we’ll work out a time.”

“Sounds great Miles, thanks.”

He slid his phone back into his jeans pocket and rubbed his hand over his face. He hoped he hadn’t crossed the line with her but he only wanted to help. And that was some fucking blow job she gave him five minutes ago and while he wasn’t going to turn her down he knew she used it for blatant distraction. But he was pretty sure the image of her pretty pink lips hugging his cock would be ingrained in his head for a long time.

Good fuck.

~

She locked the doors behind her staff and breathed a sigh of relief. The day from hell was over. It only cost her nearly twenty grand but it was over. She rummaged into the staff fridge and found the bottle of wine that one of the customers gave her last week and carried it upstairs with her box of cash under her arm. That was after she set the new stealthy alarm systems the technicians had installed for her.

She had a long night of book-keeping ahead of her and even though she knew she had more than enough to pay for the expenses. She had to pay it back and fast. She hated that she was anal about keeping that money at the floating amount but she was. In some ways it cushioned the fact that everything around her was from that money as it had been paid back by the business itself in the end.

It was a warped way of looking at it but that’s how she slept at night.

She poured herself a glass, kicked her shoes off and started the books. Two hours later and four glasses of wine she’d had enough and she wasn’t happy with her projected income at all. The intercom buzz made her jump but the voice at the other end made her sigh. It was a welcome distraction.

“Dev, it’s me. Can I come up?”

She wanted nothing more than that but she had to pull herself together and let him in. She tucked away the box under the couch with the book and keyed the alarm before unlocking the door down the back passage to the street.

“Hey. Come on up.”

She unlocked the door and stood at the top of the stairs. He was carrying flowers and a box tucked under his arm. He was bundled up in a charcoal woollen coat and dark jeans with boots and looked just as tired as she felt.

“Are you going to bring me flowers and -” She glanced sideways at the box once he hit the light. “Godiva when we move in together? As I may have to reconsider if not.” She smiled as she breathed in the sweet aroma from the bright blue gerberas. “And my favourite flower at that.”

“I know.” He winked smugly as he leaned forward and kissed her on the lips. “I figured it’s been a shitty day so I thought I’d bring you something cheerful - me.” He grinned wider. “And then I saw these and thought why not?”

She rolled her eyes and dragged him in by the lapels of his coat so the rustic spicy smell hit her hard. “You are very sweet.”

She kissed him hard on the lips then laid her head on his shoulder. “I’m exhausted.”

“I know baby. Let me come inside and pamper you for a change.”

“Oh yeah?” She asked.

He snorted. “I meant a shoulder rub. I can give a mean one.”

“You are on.” She took his coat and then settled herself down on the floor cross legged while he sat on the couch behind her.

She closed her eyes as his hands smoothed over her shoulders and let out a blissful sigh.

“I haven’t even started.” He chuckled.

“Your touch feels good. That’s all.” She murmured as she tried to relax which wasn’t hard when he touched her. She felt so safe yet the feeling of dread still chomped in the pit of her stomach.

She giggled as she groaned when his fingers kneaded into the shoulders. “Yup. Stay there, forever.”

“See, this is what you have to look forward to when you move in with me.” He said proudly.

“Bribery will get you almost anywhere.” She tipped her head back and let the buzz trickle down her back floating her away on a fluffy white cloud. She didn’t open her eyes until she realized he’d stopped.

“My turn!”

“Equal opportunist I see.” She stood up and swapped places with him.

He cupped her chin. “Love you too darling. Muah.” And gave her a smacking kiss before he sat down.

I wouldn’t mind some wine either.” He announced.

“Oh please let me get it for you. Since you came around to spoil me and everything.” She quipped as she padded to the kitchen for an extra wine glass. She laughed as he crossed his legs as she waited on him.

“Hey what’s under here?”

The wine glass slipped from her fingers but she caught it on the way down as she saw him twisting around and reaching in under the couch.

“A steel box?”

Her heart skidded in her throat and she knew she had to think fast before he asked too many questions. Or worse. Opened it. She hadn't relocked it.

“Hey! Don’t be nosey!” She exclaimed as quickly straddled his lap to pin him back down.

“I wanna know...obviously something embarrassing.” He grinned. “You were stealthy Devon.”

She grabbed his hands and cupped hers around him and pressed them into his belly. “You are being nosey mister. What girls got in a locked box, stays in a locked box.”

His eyebrows shot up. “Ohhhhh...vibrator huh?”

She bit her lip and ran with it. “Maybe.”

“Is it pink? Does it sparkle?”

“How on earth would you know what they look like-no wait I don’t want to know.” She shook her head.

“Oh, I know.” He grinned wickedly. “I’m not averse to using one either if you want to whip it out.”

“Uh...no. We’re not going to do that tonight.”

“Does it have one of those bunny things?”

She gripped his hands tighter. “Your daughter probably has one.” She teased.

He slammed his eyes shut. “No she does not. She still plays with Barbie dolls and My Little Ponies.”
“You wish.”

“Why would you do that to me? Why?” He asked horrified.

To shut you up silly.

“Look, come here.” She breathed his scent in and nibbled on his chin. “I just need to relax it’s been a hard day.”

His face softened and he pulled one of his hands free and cupped her cheek. “I know. I’m sorry I was just teasing you.”

“I know. I just need to forget about this day. Can you make that happen? Please?” She asked with earnest. She craved the security and the normality he brought back to her. When she was with him she forgot about the past and it was like she was born all over again in a different life.

“Of course. I’m sorry Dev. You know I live to tease you.”

“In more ways than one.” She commented through slitted eyes as they kissed. He was a combination of a breath of fresh air and flint of flame into her heart. The kiss was soft, it was silky and it melted into her soul. The stress of the day flowed out of her like a river breaking free from a dam.

When the broke apart barely inches, his fingertips traced her bottom lip. “I did want to talk to you about something.”

Her eyes were heavy but her muscles relaxed as their noses bumped. “Yes?”

“I think it can wait till the morning. I’m losing you. You need to go to bed.”

She tucked her head under his chin and sighed. “I win the prize for party animal of the century. Will you stay?”

“Sure.” They got up to their feet and she set the alarm on full for downstairs.

“What will you do with this space when you move in with me?” He asked looking around her modern loft as he pulled his top off.

“Good point. Storage? I don’t know. I guess I could rent it out.”

“Ahh the opportunities when you slide into bed with a man like me.” He wiggled his eyebrows and slipped into her bed. In a million years she’d never seen this picture in her head of a man like Jon lying in her bed waiting for her. He wasn’t just giving her the ability to live again but the ability to dream. And that was something she really hadn’t done in a very long time.

“You’re awfully sure of yourself huh?” She flicked the light off and snuggled down with him behind her and his arms wound round her belly.

“You realize I’m going be wide awake for a while.” He whispered in her ear. “I am used to vampire hours here.”

“Play angry birds on your phone.” She mumbled sleepily.

“How about I roll you over...and you just lie there and I take advantage.” His hand slid under the sheet and cupped her breast. Through the thick haze of sleep his thumb over her nipple sent little bolts down her skin. His lips brushed down the arch of her neck to her shoulder. Her nipples hardened and arousal knocked.

“I hate you.” She muttered as she rolled on her back when she couldn’t ignore it any longer.

He hovered above her and slid inside her and kissed her. “That’s what all the girls say.”

10 comments:

  1. LMAOYeah Jon all the girls hate you. The comment qabout his daughter having a vibrator made me laugh so loud I woke hubby up. Oh well. Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now it's getting interesting! LOL at the conversation she used to distract him. I laughed out loud too. Totally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is gonna FLIP when Jon tells her he's been making enquiries .........right?? I would! Even if it was JBJ!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMFG, Your Daughter probably has one!!! Classic!!! I did LOL!! Hmmm morning conversation is going to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, yeah, like we really believe you hate him, Devon! (Of course you may in the morning when he tells you he's been snooping. I have a feeling Jon's stink-eye has nothing on Devon when she's mad!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet she hates him! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh...two in one day. You're spoiling us! So glad she couldn't ignore him ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO about the vibrator and the comment that followed: “No she does not. She still plays with Barbie dolls and My Little Ponies.”

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's not a man to be ignored - certainly not when he's in your bed, Devon! But OMG this is the calm before the storm, I bet. And LOL - pink and sparkly with bunny rabbit ears? OF COURSE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?