Thursday, April 5, 2012

Chapter Fifty: Taking Chances





Devon had locked herself in the office, locked her money and her books away and contemplated locking her heart away with them in the damn drawer. The day had sucked. She had snapped at everyone including Jonathan. Her bad mood couldn't have been less obvious than a purple and yellow striped zebra.

Jon hadn’t called nor had he text and even if she had expected that she’d kind of hoped he would.

“Knock knock.” Jonathan popped his head around the door.

“You got time for one more client? It’s a guy by the name of Lester Biggins. He wants a hair consult with you. He’s coming in about fifteen minutes and it’s the last one of the day. The girls and I are cleaning up now.”

She really couldn’t be bothered but she was going to be professional about this. “Sure, I’ll take him you guys have been great today so you can go once you’re all done.”

He winked. “Got it.” She smiled as he left her. He hadn’t pushed her and he hadn’t asked. Jonathan seemed to know when it was the right time to do any of those things. Thank god for small mercies.

She picked up her phone once Jonathan left and dialled Jon’s number. Butterflies galloped in her stomach but the call clicked straight into voicemail so she disconnected the call. She couldn’t just leave him a message. She needed to talk to him if they were going to have some hope of working this out. God, she was such an idiot sometimes.

She fingered the blue gerberas that sat tall in her vase and smiled to herself. He really was one in a million and it was why she was torn between doing the right thing or continue to live a lie with him.

Devon hung her apron up and freshened herself up before returning out on the floor.

“Bye ladies, thank you so much as usual for your hard work.” She waved at Emma and Kelly as they left.

“Are you sure you’re going to be ok?” Jonathan asked as he plucked his coat off the rack and shrugged into it.

“Yeah. I’ll be fine. I just need to sort some things out.”

“Is the business ok? It’s not to do with the break in is it?” He asked concerned.

Devon shook her head and patted his arm. “No, we’re fine Jonathan. I promise. I just need to sort this one out, myself for once.”

Jonathan nodded. “Ok Devon, but you know where I am right?”

He popped a kiss on her forehead and she struggled to fight the tears that threatened to spill.

“I do. See you tomorrow Jonathan.”

She smiled and closed the door behind him. The salon was empty and the rooms felt huge tonight as she picked up a broom and decided to make use of herself until this last client showed up. She stared out into the street not sure if she was looking for a man in beat up leather jacket and well-fit jeans to be staring back at her but there was no one but the lonely sidewalk.

The door on the bell rattled behind her and she forced a smile as she turned, even though she felt miserable inside but stopped in her tracks.

“Richie?” She couldn’t believe he was standing there in her foyer. Dark jeans that stretched down forever and a long sleeve brown tee-shirt accompanied with chains that dangled around his neck.

“You can call me Lester.” He wiggled his eyebrows and unwound his scarf. “Got time for a quick cut?”

“Lester, really? That’s what you use as an alias? Lester Biggins?” She asked amused as she crossed her arms.

“Hey. It was all I could think of in a hurry. I wondered if you’d see me at all if you knew it was me.”

“Aw, why wouldn’t I?” She asked as she pulled out the chair for him to sit in and reached up to take his coat from his shoulders.

“Because of my dimwit friend.”

She hung his coat and pushed Richie in front of the mirror. “He’s not a dimwit.”

“Ok assface.” Richie added which made her smile.

“See? Told you he was.”

“How is he?”

“Grumpy, miserable and feeling sorry for himself.” Richie folded his arms as she pinned a cape on him. “I want just a trim off the back and up the top.”

“Ok.” She sifted her fingers through his hair to get an idea of the length and then picked up her spray bottle. “I can’t see Jon feeling sorry for himself.” She said plainly as she sprayed the top of his hair.

“Trust me. I’ve known the guy for decades. He can feel sorry for himself and he’d kick my ass if I told you that too.”

She chuckled. “Well it’s not all his fault. I may have overreacted to what was trying to do for me.”

“Oh, he told me. You didn’t and you should have kicked his ass. That’s Jon always trying to fix things he shouldn’t touch.”

Devon sighed. “He was only worried about me and did I over-react.”

“Ok, so what you gonna do about it?”

Devon stared at him in the mirror and then narrowed her eyes. “Was this your plan?”

Richie’s eyes flashed and widened innocently “What plan?”

She combed through his hair and snipped the ends with a small smile. “Nothing.”

“I may or may not know where Jon will be tonight.” He added nonchalantly.

“Oh really? And where might that be Mr Sambora?” She clipped more ends of hair and set to work.

“We’re going to an uptown bar called Mojo. Should I leave your name on the list at the door?”

She sighed. “I don’t know Rich if that’s a good idea.” She swallowed her courage. She didn’t know if she was ready to face him again after such an abrupt fight. She had so many feelings bubbling inside of her what to do next with him that she didn’t trust herself.

“I think it’s a great idea personally. Means he won’t be a sad sack of shit for our writing sessions this week.”

“So it’s really all about you huh?” She teased as she brushed back his side fringe.

“Look. I don’t know what’s going on Devon but one thing is clear. You two bloody love each other so get on with it. Are you really going to let one fight come between what you had? I saw the way he is around you and the way he talks about you...okay I wouldn’t miss him yammering on about but still it makes him happy. If he’s happy then I’m happy.” He said seriously.

She trimmed his edges at the side. “What if I told you it wasn’t that simple?”

“Well make it bloody simple.” His soft brown eyes and beaming grin met her in the mirror.

Her eyes flicked back down to his hair as she worked away and finished his “trim” that he really didn’t actually need. But she knew what he was doing. “There,” she announced as she brushed away the excess hair on his shoulder.

“Looks fabulous little darlin’ how much do I owe you?” He swung around in his chair.

“Please. That was barely a cut. It’s on the house. You already paid in advice.”

“You can buy me a drink at Mojo. We’ll be there within two hours. That’ll give you time to go and get all dolled up so you can knock his socks off.”

She rolled her eyes. “I’ll think about it.”

He leaned in and kissed her on the cheek. “Don’t take too long. Tick tock.” He winked, collected his coat and headed out the door. “Mojo--up by fifth. The cab driver will know it.” He pointed at her before he disappeared out the door.

She had no idea whether to go, her head screamed no but her heart screamed yes.

~

“I don’t know if I can be assed doing this tonight Richie.” Jon commented as he traced his finger around the rim of his wine glass and flashed a fake smile at a couple that walked by. Mojo was pumping for a midweek night as it always did. It was one of the best hot spots in the city and known to be discreet in Uptown Manhattan.

“C’mon. Don’t be grumpy. If you can’t stop thinking about her. Call her.”

“No, I’m not calling her. I need some space from her.”

“And that’s why you asked her to move in with you?” Richie snickered as he topped up Jon’s glass from the wine bottle.

“You trying to get me drunk? I’m the only one drinking that wine you know.” Jon added but he didn’t refuse the wine as he took a long sip.

“You need to relax and you need to realize something...” Richie trailed off as he gazed across the room and then back to Jon and grinned. “Some things have a funny way of working themselves out.”

“Oh yeah, aren’t you fucking philosophical tonight?”

Of course he wondered what she was doing right now. Was she home alone feeling as miserable as he was? Or was she trying to put on a brave front and pretend nothing was wrong like Devon would. He admired her strength but wondered who she had to be strong for her. Stop it dammit.

“What on earth are you staring at?” Jon noticed Richie had become preoccupied with something behind him up by the bar.

“Wondering how you got so fucking lucky. Although she is too short for me, or perfect height depends the way you look at it.” Richie teased with a wink.

Jon’s brow furrowed and he turned in his seat and he sucked in a breath. Standing by the bar in a simple strappy dark blue dress with matching heels was Devon. The dress fell just above her knee so the rest of her lean legs poured into two killer blue pumps. She looked fucking amazing.

He swallowed then turned back to Rich who whistled innocently. “What are the chances Jonny B?”

“You’re about as subtle as a shovel in the face Rich.” Jon rolled his eyes but his first urge was to go to her. He missed her, hell it had only been a day without her in it. God, he sounded pathetic but he was starting to crave the attention that they gave each other.

“Do I have to push you over there too?” Richie asked.

“Jesus Christ. I’m going, I'm going. “

Jon straightened his jacket and walked through the crowd to the bar. Her shapely behind and creamy long legs were taunting him already. He flicked the bartender a note as he slid onto the stool beside where she was standing.

“I’ll pay for that.”

“Thanks.” He turned to her and when she faced him it hit him in the gut. Her hair was swept back from her face showing off the soft lines of her face. She’d smoked her eyes up with some subtle strokes but the rest of her face was her perfectly natural glow with her trademark pink glossy lips.

“Well you look amazing.” He said as let out a deep breath.

“You don’t look bad yourself.” Her eyes flicked up the length of him. “To be honest I didn’t know if this was a good idea but now that I’ve seen you.” She reached for her wine and took a sip.

“Yes?” He asked impatiently, a bundle of nerves in his stomach.

“I know it is.”

He smiled and ran his finger under her chin. “Good. Can we move over there?” He asked signalling in the direction of the corner booths that were a little more private.

“Yes.”

He took her hand and led her over to the far side of the room where couples were having intimate dinner and chats. The lighting was low and the music soft in the background. She slid into the love seat and he followed.

He took her hands and squeezed. “I’m sorry.” They both said at the same time and he laughed.

“Devon. I’m crap at this, I didn’t realize how intrusive I made you feel and I am sorry about that. I only honestly wanted to help you.”

She smiled and it was a real Devon smile which eased his stomach. “I know you did. I reacted badly, and I’m sorry.”

He kissed her hands. “I am worried about you though. And it’s only because I love you that I care to the point you will want to throttle me.”

“It’s ok. I know that. I do. I just-”

He leaned and, kissed her gently on the lips and stayed close to her face. “I know you have things in the past that still haunt you. I see it. You haven’t given me everything yet and I can be a little more patient. But know I’ve given you everything because I trust you and I want you to trust me that way. So badly” He added.

She blinked away from him momentarily and then met his gaze again. “You’ve given me everything Jon. You let me into your family and your life so easily. You gave me back a lot that I left behind and I’ll never ever forget that.”

“I’m the one that is lucky here.” He reaffirmed as his lips hovered across hers. Her sweet sigh was music to his ears as he deepened the kiss. Her hands smoothed up over his chest and up around his neck. Her spicy candy scent engulfed him and his hand slid up her thigh over the silky material of her dress. He teased her lip with the tip of his tongue as he drew back.

“And do you know how much my day sucked without you in it?”

She didn’t say anything but slid across further and pressed her body into him and sighed into his mouth. “Apparently I’m grumpy and a little bossy without you.”

He laughed and leaned back a little, his hands still on hers. “Oh really? You’re bossy? I would have never guessed that.”

“Hey, watch it mister.” She teased as they fell back into them.

“Are we staying for a meal or are we leaving?” He asked hopefully. They needed some time alone to talk but he wasn’t going to push her and his cock needed a light workout first. He couldn’t ignore the hot little dress she was in and the way it curved in all the right places.

“Depends how long you can wait.” She said carefully those cute pink lips curling.

“Cheque Please.” He breathed against her neck and buzzed his lips along her skin. “When I said you looked amazing, it was an understatement. You look utterly fuckable in that dress.” He whispered against her ear. “And every man in this bar knew it by the way they looked at you.”

“I did originally have lace stockings that went with this dress but wondered if they were too much.”

He groaned and tipped his head back as it flashed in his head. Except she wasn’t wearing the dress with them in his mind. She was naked. “You’re killing me.”

“I’ll remember that for next time.” She adjusted the top and his eyes fell to her breasts that were cushioned in nicely.

“Are the girls ok?” He asked amused.

“I feel like I’m about to spill out of this dress. “She twisted the material up a little to cover the edges of her breasts.

His eyebrows rose. “Well let’s leave so you can.”

“Wait.” She grabbed his hands before he slid out of the booth and kissed him again squarely on the lips. Both hands cupped his cheeks and she arched inwards pressing her breasts into his chest. The tips of her nipples pressed into him and he moaned into her mouth and closed his eyes as he lost himself in her kiss.

She finally pulled apart and he opened his eyes, the surge of lust shot straight to the tip of his cock. She quickly reapplied a slick pink coat to her lips and grinned. “Okay let’s go.”

“You’ll be lucky if I last the car.” He muttered as he clutched her hand and led her out the door.

10 comments:

  1. Glad to see they made up but I agree with Bayaderra, Devon needs to come clean. The longer she waits the worse it will be when Jon hears the details. Great chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devon just come clean now! ..lol love that rich was the little fixer upper :) Great chapter (as always) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lester Biggins? LMAO! Yay for Richie tho - with his soft brown eyes and chains round his neck. Devon's killer dress will get her off the hook with Jon - but only for a while it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Richie! Time for Devon to come clean though, she needs to trust Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew Richie would sort it all out and I'm glad Dev and Jon are making up but who's keeping Richie company now that Jon has dumped him?? I'm available........just sayin' !!!

    Great Chapter Kiwi, really enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, I love this Richie. Oh wait...I love all incarnations of Richie. But I love that he's willing to get involved because Jon needs to give in but won't quite yet. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh we're getting closer aren't we? I can't decide if I want to know badly what she did or keep the illusion that all is happy as I think when she does tell him, it won't be a happy thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Devon your little distractions will only work for so long. You need to come clean sooner or later.

    Thanks for all the recent updates Kiwi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leave it to Richie to get Jon and Devon together. Devon needs to come clean and tell Jon everything and if Jon loves her like he says he will stand beside her.

    Great Chapter, Kiwi :)

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?