Saturday, June 18, 2011

Chapter Thirteen: Maybe Baby




"Sonofabitch." Jon doubled over the kitchen counter as the burn radiated up his calves from the twelve miles he'd clocked up on the treadmill. It was one way he'd blasted away the hangover, not to mention the morning erection he'd been left with after leaving Devon on her steps last night. He reached for the fridge, grabbed a bottle of water, and popped off the cap and glugged it down. He should be awarded a medal for leaving her at her door last night. He'd been a little drunk but he could have easily sank into her for an hour or three. 

It was apparent to him that he didn't want to fuck this up. She was the first women in a long time that had got his attention and had held it. She had no motive from him and she didn't need him to further her career or some other kind of gain. He'd been the one happy to help her out with his mother's business because she was an honest woman trying to make an honest living. She was dynamic, clearly a good leader in her salon and she had a sweet, caring side that made him want to be around her.

Devon was real and that's where he'd gone so wrong before. Everything he had and she didn’t, he wanted to share with her. And that wasn't him. He was a selfish prat at the best of times but she was different. He had an urge to show her things he knew she hadn't seen before. It was dangerous as he'd only known her for the best part of a week and he could be completely wrong about her. 

He was falling for her and he didn't fall under a woman's spell so easily.

She’d warmed to Patti and Bruce instantly, they were easy people to get along with but so was she. The mystery still remained of her background but she'd slowly been drip feeding him little things that kept him intrigued. He knew all about trust and he was going to have to win her trust if he wanted to know more about her.

He checked his watch. It was a little after eight and he needed coffee if he was going to function through the long list of things on his plate today. He grinned and jogged into the bathroom, had a quick shower and dressed. He knew just where to get it.

He tucked his keys and wallet into his pocket, grabbed his phone, sunglasses and left the apartment. The salon was deserted but the lights were on. He nudged the door open and the smell of something spicy hit him, one of those fancy oils she burned. "Devon?"

"Coming! Sorry, I'm not usually open at this time-" She stopped as she came out the back and folded her arms and smiled. "You, huh?" Her hair was pushed back with a thin black band and she was wearing a deep blue V-neck top on top of her normal knee length skirt.

"You look better than that I feel." 

She laughed and her cute cheek dimples deepened. "That's called whiskey. So what can I do you for?"

He took a few steps towards her and drew her into him. "That's a dangerous question. You know what I want." His gaze fell to her lips. She'd coated them again with candy-pink gloss which was paired with her scent. He leaned in and her eyes fluttered closed as he pressed his lips against hers and then pulled away. "Coffee."

Her eyes flew open and she nodded. "Right. Coffee. Sure." She disappeared behind the coffee counter. He slid onto a stool while she cranked the machine into action. Throwing her off her little axis was never going to get old.

"Busy day ahead?"

"Yes, I've got a pile of appointments to get through today and Kelly has the afternoon off. Creamer?"

He shook his head. "No, just black today." 

"Have you eaten?" She asked as she pulled down a mug.

He snorted. "No, have you?"

She shot him a glance. "No. I haven't. We're just as bad as each other then." 

"I did work out."

"You did? Christ! How in the hell did you even think of that this morning? I could barely function to get to the shower let alone exercise."

He laughed. "Old habit. I usually try and run off a hangover.” Or have sex. “Works for me on tour."

She slid his coffee towards him over the counter and then made herself one. "I don't know how you think of that. All I want to do is tuck into a big plate of carbs."

He took a sniff of his coffee and he swore the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. "Jesus, the rocket fuel this morning is it?" He tasted it. Shit, it sure had a kick.

"Yup-my hangover cure. Special blend." She winked.

"I've got a busy day ahead and I want to see the kids tonight. I have some band business tomorrow night but I was thinking we should do lunch tomorrow." 

"Sure. I could do lunch. I'm way behind too since someone's dragged me out for two nights this week."

"You better get used to that."

"Maybe." She slid into the chair opposite him with her cup. "So where did you want to meet?"

"You're coming to my place." 

Her gaze dropped and she shifted uneasily. "Oh? Your place huh?"

"Yup, it's a surprise. Trust me." He had planned to take her to one of his favourite little Italian restaurants but he'd just had an even better idea. 

"Ok, what time?"

"Twelve. I'm at one fifty-eight Mercer, I'll tell Ralph our doorman to expect you."

"I really had a good time last night Jon. Bruce and Patti were wonderful people, totally not what I expected." She was sincere and he loved that about her most of all.

"Well I told you, expect the unexpected with me. I'm an ordinary guy just doing his job but I have a few things up my sleeve you won't expect."  He grinned as she leaned forward. Her eyes sparkled deep blue and almost matched her top. "How in god's name do you look so good this early?"

"Years of practice and it’s called a shower." Her finger traced down his jaw over the fine stubble he was sporting. She winked as she lifted her cup to her mouth to hide the smile.

"Well hello children!" Jon turned as Jonathan bustled through the doorway bundled in a black woollen coat and scarf carrying paper bags. 

"You're early." Devon said checking her watch. 

"I know, I know. I thought I'd get ahead. Have you seen the bookings this week? Insanity. Oh, forgive me. I’m Jonathan and you must be Jon." He held his hand out and Jon shook it. "I've heard a lot about you." 

Jon chuckled. "Well thanks, pleased to meet you."

"So have you kids eaten? I've got plenty and I'm sure you've worked up an appetite after-"

"Jonathan!" Devon hissed. Jon half laughed as her cheeks flushed a deep pink.

"Oh, sorry!" Jonathan covered his mouth and dropped the bags. "Ok, I need to get started. I'll leave you guys to it. Don't do anything I wouldn't do. See you soon Jon." And he disappeared out the back.

"Is he?"

Devon shook her head. "Nope. Straight as they come. He's a lovely man though. I don't know what I'd do without him."

Jon picked up his spoon and stirred his coffee. "I hear you on that one." He felt the same way about Richie. Most times Jon was stubborn and determined enough to do everything on his own but now and again a little light-bulb would go off that he didn't have to do it alone. Richie was one of those light bulbs.  He wondered how close Jonathan and Devon were since they had an ease around each other. Maybe he knew more about Devon the person. He couldn't fault it as he wasn't exactly forthcoming about to people he barely knew either.

"So I can't tempt you for a quick massage or facial before I start my day?" Her eyelashes fluttered as the cheeky grin spread across her face. "I can give you discount. I know the owner."

He’d have loved her hands all over him but he didn’t trust himself to stop this time. "I haven't really got time but I'll take a rain check on the massage. You can see me to the door." Devon poured the rest of his coffee into one of the black paper takeaway cups for him and fastened it with a lid.

She scooted around the counter and walked him to the door. His arm slid around her waist as he drew her in. "Do you have your lip gloss at work?"

She frowned. "Yes, why?"

"Good. You'll need to reapply it." He smirked and leaned in. His lips skimmed up her chin and met her lips in a slow kiss. Her fingers wound up around his neck and into the hair at on the nape of his neck. He swallowed her little moan and his mouth moved over her jaw below the sensitive skin beneath her ear. "Have a good day, don't work too hard and I'll see you tomorrow at twelve. Don't be late." His hand drifted down her back and slid over her ass. He gave it a quick squeeze before he stepped back and out the door.

~

It was impossible to think of anything but that man's lips at times she thought as he disappeared out the door and into the day. God, she'd woke up feeling finally grounded again and now her head was again in a spin.  It wasn't a question of whether she'd give in, it was when. How did she go from a strong resolve to not get involved with this man to now making plans with him, wanting to sleep with him and having him fall for her? Holy crap.

"So how's lover boy?" 

"Jesus, Jonathan!"

"Well? How was he?"

She watched him disappear around the corner and then stepped back. "He was fine. We had a lovely night." She walked back across to the reception area hiding her grin as Jonathan chased after her.

"Oh c'mon on! That can't be it. Where did you go? Did you stay at his place?"

"So many questions." She too had many questions, but they were mainly for herself. 

"Don't deprive me. You know my life is boring."

Devon laughed. "I'll be sure to tell Toni that next time I see her." 

"You know what I mean. I'm certainly not getting taken out by any famous rock-stars." He scooted around the counter to join her. "Tell me."

"Well he took me to his friend’s place that happened to be Bruce Springsteen and they were really lovely people." 

"OK, now I am jealous. I've seen that guy about five times in concert."

"He and Patti are really nice people. It was a lovely evening."

"Okay, you've said lovely twice now. What about afterwards? How was Mr Rock God at other things? Did he know where to strum if you know what I mean?" Jonathan winked and elbowed her.

"Jonathan! Not that it's any of your business but no, he didn't stay the night “He wanted--I mean I wanted--" She covered her face as she felt Jon’s warm breath down her neck promising her she would cum over and over. Sweet Jesus, recompose yourself. "He was a gentleman."

"Okay. What's really going on?"

She bit her lip. "He's just so-god I don't know if I should do this." Jonathan gave her a sympathetic look and put his arm around her shoulders.

"Sleep with him or go out with him?"

"Both. He's a wonderful man Jonathan but that's just part of him. I'm not sure I can handle the rest of him."

Jonathan nodded and slid onto the stool behind the reception area. "Dev, honey. I know we've always been close and I've always supported you in anything you want to do. But I've got to say that these last few days, even though you've looked like you've wanted to throw up..." He tucked a strand of her hair back behind her ear. "You've looked happy. And I was beginning to worry about you. Honestly. You're sexy, young and a wonderfully warm person."

"Jonathan, really I'm not-"

"Hush. Now what I'm trying to say is that you need a life. I know you've got all of this and you've got all of us. But you need a life, and you need love."

"Love? I'm not in love with him."

"No, and you may never be. But you'll never know if you don't take the chance."

Jonathan was right. But it still wasn't that simple. Could she really leave behind everything in the past and finally truly move on? Or was she going to punish herself for all eternity. She'd dated a few times while she'd been here and she had to admit that no one had even come close to the way Jon stirred her. They say that love is a risk, and this was a big risk as it wasn't just about her heart on the line this time. It was everything. 

She fussed with the vase of lilacs on the reception counter and sighed. "I know you're right. But I'm going to do this at my pace." She had all the best intentions in the world at keeping Jon at a distance but after last night she knew that would only work for so long. "Now, enough. We've got work to do."

Jonathan grinned and kissed the top of her head. "Yes we have. But remember, I'm here for you and just follow your heart for once. Not your head." 

"Thanks." She chuckled. That in itself would be a feat if she could do it but maybe she just had to try. 

9 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!! Can't wait to find out what Jon has up his sleeve for lunch at his place!!!! I love how he knows how to knock her off balance so easily! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww GIVE IN DEVON!
    it's killing me! but fantastic story. I am lovin this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geeez Devon, Can you just realize the fact that he'll wait as long as you want! God, just go for it!

    I'm loving this story, and now I'm interested in her secret...

    NEXT CHAPTER QUICK!!!

    (Sambora/Jovi Girl)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atta girl Devon, you know you want to continue with him.

    Thanks for the new post xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think Jon will give you a choice Devon.

    So....what's the plan for lunch? More friends to meet? Or is it going to be Devon a la table?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, can't wait for the next chapter? Will lunch turn into Afternoon Delight???

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  7. More, more, more! Soon, soon, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's getting pushy, and she's letting him. That's something to smile about isn't it?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jonathan's such a lovely soul.
    And Jon kissing her face off out the door? Yep
    Hot
    lol
    Love the sweetness and light to the story so far. Jon needs that kind of sweet to balance all his snark. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?