Saturday, June 25, 2011

Chapter Fourteen: One Step Up




Devon stepped onto the curb and wrapped her coat tight around her. Thanks to Shelby Madison’s do-it-yourself hair disaster she blew out her schedule by thirty minutes fixing it. Her boots clicked down the familiar cobblestones of Soho to one-fifty-eight Mercer Street. What would this date bring? She smiled and took a deep breath as the doorman held the door open and she smiled as she walked in.

"Hi, I'm Devon Scott. I'm here to see Jon Bon Jovi."

He nodded. "Right this way. He's expecting you." Ralph and his neatly pressed suit showed her into the elevator and stepped back. "Have a nice afternoon Ms Scott."

The doors closed and she closed her eyes. Was she nervous? Of course she was. He'd invited her into his home so this was pretty major. She had to remember it was only lunch so it wasn't like the same pressure would be there to stay the night. They both had their own commitments to solider on into for the afternoon. She flattened her palms down the front of her coat. It was only lunch. Good god, she needed to stop analysing everything to death. She stepped out at the top into a marbled foyer and knocked on the double black doors.

"Come in." She jumped as his voice came into the foyer through a speaker from the side. "It's open." God, what was this, Charlie’s Angels?

She turned the handle and the door opened into a large open-planned living area. Off-whites, greys, charcoals and black leather spilled out before her. Clean masculine lines. She caught her breath as sun spilled through  floor-to-ceiling windows that looked out into Manhattan. "Holy shit." She looked behind her half expecting Jon to sneak up behind her but he wasn't there. He wasn't anywhere. "Jon?"

Staircases spiraled upstairs at the north end of the apartment and a generous modern open-plan kitchen stretched into the south. This place was huge. Where the hell was he? She shrugged off her coat and laid it carefully on top of one of the leather couches. It wasn't until she looked closer she noticed the single daisy on the first step of a smaller wrought iron staircase by the windows. Attached at its stem was a small note. 


"Follow me." She swallowed and looked up. What if it went to his bedroom? Leaving no time to talk herself out of it she made her way up to a single door. A blast of fresh air hit her as she pushed it open and she nearly had to pinch herself twice with what was in front of her.

The rooftop deck was dotted with teak outdoor furniture that circled around a stone fire pit that crackled away happily. Various Fiscus and shrubs plants scattered around which made the place like an outdoor haven instantly making you forget that you were in downtown Manhattan. "Oh, wow." The table was laid out with breads, fruits, cheese and fresh salads with fat red pillar candles.

"I always needed an excuse to use the roof and I never found one until now." She turned behind her as Jon strolled up to the table with a bottle of wine in one hand and two glasses threaded between his fingers.

"This is just...wow. Incredible. And were you watching me the whole time up here?"

He chuckled and popped the cork and poured two glasses. "The look on your face was priceless and besides, I thought I was about to get stood up." He handed her a glass and smiled.

"I know, god, I'm sorry. I had a disaster I had to sort and I completely forgot to text you. It was very rude." He moved closer, his dark jeans wrapped around his legs like a wrapper around delicious candy. His tight red tee showed off every part of his upper body perfectly. Mama. Her gaze fell to his lips as he brushed them lightly against hers.

"Forgiven."

He stepped back but she raised her palm to her cheek. "Wait." She stepped in and their lips met again, this time her tongue pushed into his mouth and she snuck a taste of him. "Better."

The surprise flickered in his eyes and he grinned. "Maybe we won't need food."

She laughed. "Man, is that a hot tub?" She asked spying one nestled in the corner that overlooked the city.

He winced. "Yeah it is. I barely use it truth be told." He wagged his finger at her and held his cheeky grin. "We could change that though." He brushed against her forehead and ushered her to the table. "Bathing suits optional of course."

"How did I know you would say that? Cheeky man."

"You know me. I'll convince you sooner or later to get naked with me."

"Yes, so you keep saying." She took a sip of her wine and slid into the chair that he pulled out for her at the table.

He sat opposite her and raked his hand through his hair. "So busy day huh? I've had a frustrating one." He rubbed his neck and reached for the platter piling her plate with various cheese, salad and fruits.

"How much do you think I eat?" She laughed as she took it from him. "And what's wrong with your neck?"

"Just a bit stiff and you'll love it. I got it delivered in from a local deli."

"I'll give it a rub after lunch if you want."

His eyes sparkled with anticipation as he bit into a grape.

"Your neck, that is." She corrected. "Jeeze."

"That would be great. Although I wouldn't complain if you wanted to venture anywhere else." He wiggled his eyebrows as he reached for a wedge of cheese and popped it into his mouth.

Devon cleared her throat. "Yes, I think we've established that." She piled some cheese and a grape onto a cracker and took a bite. "I have to say the view is pretty amazing."

"I'd agree with that." His eyes stayed focused on her. Would that stare ever become unnerving to her? Somehow she didn't ever think so.

She rolled her eyes as he laughed. "And I take it completely for granted."

"But let me guess it's because it’s the best?"

"Arrogant right?"

"A little, but nothing wrong with having the best. I know you give back in the communities as well."

"Oh yeah, you Goggled me. I'm clearly at a disadvantage. I can't Google you."

"No, I guess you can't." She picked up one of the napkins and brought it to her lips. Thank god. "You'll just have to work harder won't you?" Teasing him came a lot easier than she thought, god and what the hell was she doing? She didn't want to encourage him.

"Now that sounds like a challenge. One I've already accepted." He spread some pesto on his bread. "One I'll win too."

"I'm going to draft up my new group spa-day proposals tonight and do some cost analysis." Deferring the subject away from getting naked was a good idea. He called her bossy, sheesh he was just as pushy. Maybe they could rule the world together.

"Oh yeah? I can always take a look at them when you've done them in the next few days. I'm very good with numbers."

"Really?" She kept her business close to her chest and more so her finances. It wouldn't hurt for him to see the proposal though and it's not like she was being audited by the IRS. The relationship was shifting and quickly as well, it scared Devon to pieces because she felt a strong connection to Jon and he was someone who was so solid and trustworthy and he didn't play games. Well, besides his deliberate flirting but she was confident she could handle that.

 "Only if you want to but that would be good. You obviously know a lot about money and if it could get me closer to one of these." She gestured around her. "Then by all means."

"It's a date. You know where I live now so just stop by with it when you've got it ready and we can go through it."

She narrowed her eyes. "Why do I suspect that's an excuse to get me back in your apartment."

"Damn. You're learning how I operate far too easily Miss Devon. I need some new moves."

"And that's what I do. I'm a fast learner." Let's face it she always had to be. She had to admit he looked a lot more relaxed from when she first saw him in the salon. "Have you been keeping up your regime we agreed on?"

"So that's what you were doing. Checking me out huh?"

"That is my job. I don't ever want your skin to go back to the way it was when I saw it."

"Yes ma’am. I'm getting accustomed to having you boss me around." He winced as he leaned forward and his hand went to his neck.

She laid down her napkin and rested her glass down. "Alright you. Over there on the lounger now." She pointed as she stood up.

Jon perched on the end of the teak lounger. She straddled it from behind him and put her hands on his shoulders to loosen him up. "You are stiff."

"I didn't stretch after my run this morning. That's probably it."

"Naughty." Her fingers dug into the kinks in his neck and he groaned. "It'll hurt for a bit but just work with me. It'll get better."

He growled. "Thanks for the heads up." His knuckles went white around the edge of the seat as he took her massage until eventually as she anticipated he relaxed under her fingers until she finished. He exhaled and shook his shoulders out. "Holy shit, you're good."

"Not just a pretty face." She chuckled as he swivelled around to face her and her heart jack-hammed into her throat as his mouth was inches from hers. On instinct she pulled back but he chased her, gently pushing her down back into the recliner. Her hands slid up on his chest and her breath left her lungs in a rush as she tried to contain him.

The first kiss was light and teasing, with only the promise of his mouth. He flicked his tongue across her upper lip and his scent swam around her. He eased his tongue between her lips and a little moan escaped her as he tasted her slowly. His hand cupped the back of her neck giving him more access as he kissed her sensually. His taste, paired with the sweetness of grapes from their lunch took over her senses as she melted into the recliner. His body hovered over hers and she closed her eyes as his mouth left hers and slid down her neck.

Her nipples hardened as the sensation of him spread across her body and her toes curled. God, if they were naked she knew he'd be inside her. There was no doubt. He lowered his head and his mouth skimmed over the soft cotton of her top and her breast. Her chest pounded as he went even lower, his tongue swirled around her tip through her layers. She was crumbling. He bunched up her top revealing the skin of her belly as he dipped down. She shuddered as his teeth scraped over her bare skin. It was the most erotic moment in her life.

"Oh god. Jon." She whispered but it came out strangled. She was sinking but what was she thinking? She had appointments this afternoon so she couldn't do this now. Her fingers threaded through his hair as she fought pleasure with common sense. "Jon, I can't. Please."

He stopped, pulled her tee down, laid back up across her and brought his lips to hers but she pushed him back gently. "No, I have to go. Sorry. I'm just running late all day and I have to stay on top of the appointments this afternoon or we'll sink. I can't-I just can't." It was a lame excuse but he pushed himself back and up off the chair and held his hand out for her.

"Devon, you don't have to do this-"

But she held her hand up. "I do. I've got to go. I'm sorry. I really am and this was all wonderful. So wonderful." She was stuttering and she sounded like a right idiot. She knew she'd kick herself afterwards but least she'd be out of the apartment to do it and safe in her own world.

"Your coat is downstairs. I'll show you out." He led her downstairs, collected her coat and showed her to the door. She turned; he looked disappointed but was calm. She was being a complete coward and she knew it but she couldn't think. And not thinking was dangerous for her. Just go, get out of there.

"Call me later k?" He didn't even try to kiss her. Surely she'd blown it with him. Who in their right mind wanted a basket case like this?

"Ok. Thanks for lunch, truly." And she escaped into the elevator.

She tipped her head back against the wall, closed her eyes and fought for breath. Why was she so afraid of him? He was everything anyone else had never been to her. She was fiercely attracted to him and that's what scared her and he clearly was too. The uncertainty of what would happen if she gave in to all of that was just too risky. Or was it? Jon was so different. So solid. God, so fucking sexy but that was another issue completely. She banged her head back against the wall.

"Idiot."

She could go back up there; try to explain but the adrenaline that was pumping through her would make her sound like a crazy person. She had to give them some space and really think this through. God be damned.

13 comments:

  1. Devon, Devon, Devon!!!! Why? Why? Why? Grrrhhh. But don't worry, I'm sure Jon won't give up, hes a stubborn man! I certainly hope so! Grrrh, next chapter asap please!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait till her toes curl properly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no Devon! I'm sure Jon will understand, you just need some time to calm down. He's enough to get an girl flustered like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh No, I actually feel bad for Devon. She obviously carries the weight of a very heavy burden on her shoulders. She should know though that Jon is not one to give up. Hopefully soon she will come to realize that he can be trusted with her heart as well as her secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great chapter as always!! Next one soon please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, now I REALLY need to know what is her story! What are you hiding Devon? Or who you hiding from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Bayaderra, what is her story? She certainly has more willpower than me though. Even though I'm a Richie girl, there is no way I would have been able to resist Jon in this chapter

    Totallysambora

    ReplyDelete
  8. Devon-You seriously need SLAPPED!!!! Leaving Jon like that you know you want him and he wants you too don't be afraid just GO FOR IT!!!!

    Awesome Chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!! Just do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Devon! What is the deal???? Are you crazy! Drink the koolaid, already!

    Great chapter. Hurry up with the next!

    P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this story. I can't wait to find out about Devon's skeletons. I hope she is able to let them go and that she and Jon can have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, a good opportunity lost. But then, this makes the story more interesting.
    I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The man has her running like a rabbit. LOL she's so doomed. That fear is going to ride her like she's the last ride in disneyland and the park is full!

    But he set the scene beautifully...and shows that she matters. That's a good step to get her to open up.

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?