Sunday, June 10, 2012

Chapter Sixty-Five: No More Lies





Devon’s hands brushed down the curved edge of polished wood in her salon and breathed a sigh of relief as Jonathan locked the doors. It had been a hectic day which thankfully had taken her mind off her father's impending dinner that night. She was happy to see her father, there was no doubt in that but she was nervous about what information he’d bring with him to dinner. If he’d found Jared or any information that would indicate if he was around. It was surreal to see him and everything was happening so fast that sometimes it was hard to breathe.

“And the day is done. I don’t know about you but I need a coffee before I hit the subway.” Jonathan said as he rounded the counter and flicked on the coffee grinder.

“That would be lovely.” She said as she gnawed on her lip and clasped her hands on the counter top.

“That sounded convincing Dev.” He joked as he lined up two coffee mugs. “You ok?”

“I’m just nervous. I should feel on top of the world knowing my father saved my ass.” She would be forever grateful but how would she ever pay that back to him? She was a good person and right now she had everything she’d always wanted. A successful business, a loving man and it looked like she would be free from her misdemeanours. She should have been over the moon but she wasn’t.

“But...” Jonathan prompted raising his eyebrow.

She sighed. “Do I deserve to get off like this? When Jared had to pay for what we did.” If he was in the states, boy he was going to be pissed if he ever found her. He’d want his money back with interest and there was no telling what he would do to her.

“Devon, Listen to me. No it wasn’t fair what happened but you got out and you changed your life.” He covered her hands with his.

“You are a good person and you’ve done wonderful things here. You deserve a second chance. You didn’t kill or hurt anybody. So this can be undone.”

She half-smiled. “Thanks. I’m not convinced but thanks.”

“And if I have to even remind you of the Jersey hottie you are dating...he’s a good person and he is still here. Still standing by you.”

“He is a good person, an amazing man.” She agreed with him.

“So what is the problem? If you are throwing a pity party, I’m not buying it.”

She chuckled. “No, it’s not that, it’s more I need to do something to make this right in my own way.”

“Like?” Jonathan asked.

“Redemption I guess. For myself, for no one else. I need to find a way that some good comes out of this and not just for me.”

Jonathan grinned and went back to pouring them coffee. “So give back some way. Like your boyfriend does.”

“I’ll have to think about that but it’s on the right track.” She needed to think about this, when this was all over and done with she needed to celebrate it but in the right way.

Jonathan slid the coffee over to her and then put his hand up. “Be right back I just need to check that I haven't left the straightening irons on.”

She needed to get the hell over herself. She had Jon and her father in her corner and she needed to be strong for the amount of support they’d installed in her. She had so much, her salon and Jon she felt like her life was just starting over again and maybe it was that that was scaring her.

Her phone beeped and she stood up with her coffee in one hand and her phone as she opened the text message. The cup smashed to the floor, her heart lodged in her throat and jack hammered as she stared at her phone. The scream wouldn’t come it was strangled within her gut.

Staring back at her was a picture of Jon and Jared, Jon was smiling clearly oblivious who he was standing next to and the text message blared.

If you want to see your boyfriend's smile again, shut your trap and wait for my next move. I’m not joking. Love Jared.

The Love Jared dripped in sarcasm and she knew that’s what he intended. Oh god. He was here. He was here.

“You ok?” Jonathan asked as he rushed for her armed with a broom and a cloth.

She shoved her phone back in her pocket. “It slipped. I’m so sorry I guess-” she stammered and caught her composure. “I guess I just haven’t had my mind on the ball.”

“Well I don’t blame you darlin’.” Jonathan bent down and dabbed the floor before sweeping up the cup. “I’ll clean this up and close the door behind as I leave. Why don’t you go and find that fabulous boyfriend of yours.”

“Thanks, I will.” That’s exactly what she needed to do. Call Jon and see where he was and make sure he was safe. She hurdled the stairs to her loft, her heart pounding hard against her chest and adrenaline coursed through her like lightning. She slammed the door behind and dialled Jon’s number. It rang and rang again as she paced down her living room.

“Dammit.” She cursed as it clicked to voicemail. She kicked off her heels and rummaged for her boots. At least there were perks living down the same street as your boyfriend. She grabbed her coat and wrapped it around her and disappeared into the street.

The click of her boots against the cobblestones and the chilly late afternoon wind gusts followed her to Jon’s penthouse. She waved to the doorman as she carried on to the elevator and up to the penthouse floor.

Please be there, please be there.

She knocked and nobody answered so she banged her fists on the door. “Jon?” She called as she called him again and cursed as it clicked to voicemail. Why didn’t she have Richie’s number? Least she could have checked in with him in case they were off doing some business around writing.

“Dammit.” She left the penthouse and walked out onto Mercer Street. What if Jared wanted to play some twisted game? Could she really keep this to herself? But if she told them would their lives become in danger? Even more than they already were.

“Devon?” A voice called behind her and she froze. She turned to see Jon stepping out of a town car outside his building and her stomach fluttered with relief.

“Thank god.” She breathed as she took one step and then ran towards him.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and he lifted her up and hugged her tight. “Hey you...are you ok?”

Tears shone in her eyes as she smiled at him. His smile was warm and his blue eyes sparkled against the dark charcoal coat he had on. “I’m fine.”

He kissed her squarely on the lips and set her down. “I’ve just been across town. Come on up.”

“You look shaken. Are you sure you are ok?”

She tugged her scarf free from around her neck as he took her hand and led her inside the building. “So much is happening, I just wanted to see you.” She tugged at the lapels of his coat before the elevator doors slid open. It clawed at her gut lying to him again - after everything. Did she tell him it was Jared who stopped him on the street? Or did she wait to see if she could deal with Jared and make him go away.

Because of course that had worked so well in the past Devon.

He tugged in close in the elevator, the scent of spicy cologne rushed over her as his stubble scraped over her cheek. “Can’t keep away from me huh?” His hands slid into her coat and along her body. “Why is it I can never keep my hands off you?” He whispered as the ding came and the doors opened.

“Jon-I...” She melted into his kiss as he stepped her back against the door to the penthouse. Her head tipped back and his teeth scraped down the centre of her throat. “Oh god.”

He pressed himself against her, her curves moulding with his. “I have something for you.”

Her eyes opened as his honed in on her. “Oh?” She asked now completely distracted.

“I bought you a little something.” He reached inside his coat and produced a box.

“What-you didn’t have to do that Jon.”

She took the box and opened it. The silver band twisted around at the front to a solid heart. It was like nothing she’d ever seen, it was chunky but elegant. “Why?”

He chuckled as he slid it onto her right ring finger. “Why not?”

“It’s gorgeous.” The metal was rich and bold. “It’s not silver.” She whispered.

He chuckled again. “No it’s not.”

She smiled and shook her head. It was a gorgeous gift and undoubtedly an expensive gift.

“I could tell you something cheesy like you’re wearing my heart on your finger...”

She laughed as he wiggled his eyebrows.

“But I just want it to show you that I am in this for the long haul. Heart and Soul.”

He was a lovely lovely man. Thank god he was in her life. Albeit ten years late but she doubted ten years ago they would have clicked like they did now. “I can’t do this. I can’t lie to you.” She shook her head as she pulled out the phone and handed it to him.

He frowned as he opened the message and his eyes popped. “Oh fuck. That was him?” He stepped away and unlocked the door and paced inside leaving her in his wake. “I knew there was something off about this guy. He told me his name was Judas and when I repeated it he just corrected me.”

“Judas?” She asked. “Like the biblical traitor?” Oh god. Jared thought she was a traitor. She clutched her gut and watched as Jon paced up and down and raked a hand through his hair.

She was right to tell him but he was angry and if she knew him well, angry that he didn’t even think about that it was Jared.

“Idiot. I signed something for him - would he use my signature for anything?” He asked as he stood facing her. “Did he know how to forge signatures, can you?”

She stood stunned as he was ranting and tried not to take the snark personally. “No, I don’t and I don’t think he does - I don’t know what he would want with your signature. Not like he can draw money out of your accounts. Your bank knows who you are, any given person would know who you are.”

He rubbed his chin. “Good point. I’m going to ring them just in case, just to be on the lookout for anyone impersonating me and we need to tell your father about this.”

She stepped back. “But we can’t what if he does something stupid? I was warned not to even tell you but of course I had to.”

He came to her and rubbed his arms down hers. “You did the right thing, thank you for trusting me. But we can’t take on a madman like this on by ourselves. We’d be crazy too. How much money is he going to want? I assume that’s what he’ll want.”

She nodded. “My guess too but we can we just wait until he contacts me again and see what he says before telling my father. I don’t want to risk his life if Jared somehow finds out we told him and something happens to him. I could never-“ She swallowed as he nodded.

Jon paused and the concern etched on his face. His eyes locked on hers. “Ok but from now on you live in this apartment. I can’t have you there by yourself at night.”

She smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her cheek into his chest as he embraced her. “Deal.” The warmth was comforting but she couldn’t shake the cold fear that was nipping at her heels.

“We wait and then we decide how to deal with this bastard’s demands and then we decide what to do next. Together.” He squeezed her tighter. “He will not touch us Devon, I won’t allow him to. Not now, not ever.”

She closed her eyes as the comfort started to outweigh the doubt and she knew that she’d done the right thing in telling him. She only hoped they could make Jared go away without something terrible happening. Because if something did to Jon, her father, or anyone else he knew. She would never forgive herself.

9 comments:

  1. Devon you did the right thing by telling Jon about Jared. Jon needs to know everything that Jared says or does in regards to Devon's welfare. A very smart idea on Devon staying with Jon until the Jared situation is solved. Something tells me that Jared might try to use Jonathon as a bargaining chip. Keep your eyes peeled guys Jared is a sneaky bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I didn't even think to wonder what he wanted the autograph for, but now I'm curious - it's not *good* for anything really, since I'm sure it was "Jon Bon Jovi" and not his legal name, plus the whole fact that as Devon pointed out, everyone at his bank & at least someone nearly everywhere else would know he wasn't Jon.

    I'm glad she told Jon though - he *really* needed to know about it. And her dad does too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's good that she told Jon about it.
    And it's good that he insist her to stay at his place at night.
    But they should tell daddy and Jonathan, the more eyes looking out for that bastard, the better is.
    And I'm afraid, too that Jared will do some bad things with that autograph. maybe sending a letter to the press or something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree! Devon you should tell your dad and Jonathan right away and you should top up security again. Your dad was a cop and will ever be. He knows how to handle a blackmailer. You'll give him power if you do what he wants and that's never a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pleased Devon told Jon. She needs to tell her dad also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm.

    a) I want that ring.

    b) Thank goodness she told Jon and I love how strong his resolve to keep them safe was. *swoon* But they need to tell her father too. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like we are all thinking the same...Glad Devon told Jon but Daddy & Jonathan need to know as well...Oh the possibilities...What about Jons kids even...Jared is gonna be a crafty lil devil I recon...I see bad things ahead...Scary
    Julie....jbj64

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad Devon poured her out to Jon, however, she needs to tell her Dad and Jonathan they both need to know what's going on. Knowing Jared he's going to go after her and her business so if I was Devon I would be asking Jon for his security people because you never know what Jared could do and she has to be prepared. On a lighter note glad Jon told Devon she could stay at his place. Jon will protect her.

    Great chapter, Kiwi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Might be the calm before the storm! Glad Jon knows - now he needs to set things in motion to protect everyone he loves.

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?