Thursday, May 24, 2012

Chapter Sixty-Three: Pear-Shaped



Jon stood back from her satisfied she was ok from Jonathan’s panicked call earlier that had him barrelling out of a meeting and across town. He leant forward to shake Devon’s father’s hand.

“Hi, I’m Jon. It’s really good to see you.”

“Likewise Jon, you can call me Richard.”

“Everything ok?” Jon asked not sure really what to expect or why Devon’s father was here. She must have had quite the shock with him showing up as well.

“You better sit down.” Devon said as they both sat on the couch before she popped up again. “I’ll get you a coffee.” He smiled and his phone beeped. He chuckled as Stephanie’s text gushed how much she was enjoying her placement at Devon’s friends fashion shop.

It was always something else to meet your girlfriend's father and Jon couldn't’ help but feel a little on edge. This was completely different as far as circumstances went though.

“Thank you for looking after her.”

Jon raised his brow and leaned forward clasping his hands. “Well I haven’t really done that. She’s pretty good at doing that herself. I just well for a lack of any better words, fell for her.”

“Do you regret that?” Richard's eyes were steely and like any father he was scoping him out, like the true cop he was as well.

He swallowed and looked over in the direction of the kitchen. “No, I couldn’t regret finding her. She means a lot to me. Was this whole thing a complete surprise? I won’t lie and say yes, it was.”

“Understandable.”

His fingers wiggled inside his hands. “So is she likely to get into any major trouble over this?”

Richard folded his arms. “What were you planning on doing if she went to jail over this?”

Jon shifted uncomfortably. “We hadn't discussed that in detail but I told her I would stand by her any way I could. Even if I had to fly to New Zealand to visit her. I would.” He said firmly. He didn’t like to feel intimidated but he couldn’t help it.

“So you do love her that much huh?” Richard eased up a little and leant back.
“Of course I do. She’s a wonderful woman. You’d be proud of the woman she is now.”

Jon saw the sadness briefly flash over her father’s face and then he nodded. “So I hear.” Devon came back into the room and handed Jon a coffee and sat down next to him.

“Did he tell you?”

Jon sipped his coffee, again wishing it was something stronger. Richard had unnerved him. “Told me what?”

“No I didn’t Devon, I had to see if he was being truthful about his commitment to you.”

“Dad!”

“Guess I’m not the only overprotective father in the room after all.” Jon muttered quietly.

“That wasn’t nice Dad. I told you he was a lovely man, Christ he’s still here isn’t he?”

“Yes he is but I wanted to make sure you weren't a pity case or - something. Like some of these rock stars do.”

“I know I’ve made some seriously wrong decisions but this one... is a right one. I promise.” She took Jon’s hand and squeezed it. “Dad knew I was here the whole time and he prevented anyone following me... well until now.”

“As in the police?” Jon asked furrowing his brow.

“He lost his job, because of me. He covered my tracks when I left New Zealand and he made Jared a deal not to come after me.”

Jon blinked and stared at Richard but the shock soon melted away. He understood. She was his daughter. Would he do the same for Stephanie if it was her? Undoubtedly. “You risked everything to make sure she was safe?” But Richard didn’t reply.

“I am relieved but at the same time I feel awful.” Devon admitted.

“So they can’t arrest you? At all?” Jon asked. In the beginning he wanted her to do what was right. And she should have but the one thing he was most afraid of was losing her. Now that he knew she wasn’t a criminal on the run, well officially. Maybe it changed things. He wasn’t sure how he felt about it.

“All the evidence is circumstantial.” Richard said.
“And Jared?” Jon asked and Devon looked down. “What?” The sinking feeling in the bottom of his stomach started.

“I had been keeping an eye on the boy for a while, after he was released from jail. But now he’s vanished.”

Jon placed his cup on the table and closed his eyes. “The robbery at the salon Devon.”

“What robbery?” Richard asked.

“Oh god. It couldn’t have been. He would have taken more.”

“What robbery?” Richard demanded again.

“Devon’s salon was broken into a week or so ago. They took five thousand dollars.”

Shit.

“And they never found who did it?”

“No, they didn’t.” Devon said defeated. “A while ago someone was outside the salon peering in and I didn’t think anything of it.”

“What?” Jon snapped but he didn’t mean to. “And you didn't think to tell me?”

“I’m sorry I just thought-”

“Fuck. This is bad, isn’t it?” Jon asked Richard.

“Well just calm down son, we don’t know for sure but what I’m hearing...does make some sense. But it still could be random.”

“Just brilliant.” Jon hissed. He couldn’t even look at her. It wasn’t her fault but this wasn’t on the agenda. He could have dealt with the media, he could have dealt with her being in jail for Christ’s sake. But the idea of having Jared anywhere near them or his family wasn’t good.

“I’ll make some calls tonight ok. Find out if there is any new information and I’ll get someone to scan the customs entries to the US.”

Devon sighed. “I’m so sorry Dad.” She looked at him but Jon refused to meet her eyes.

“Look. How about I go back to my hotel for a bit. Make some calls. It’s just down the road. And leave you two to talk. But please, be vigilant.”

Jon nodded. “You’ll let us know?”

Richard handed Devon a card. “This is where I’m staying. Call me in a couple of hours.”

They embraced and Jon watched as he hugged her tight. Thank god for him. At least she would be ok from the system somehow. He needed to talk that through more to understand what it meant but for now he needed to process the idea that an ex-crim was possibly after them.

The door clicked closed and Devon came back in. “You’re mad with me aren’t you?”

He sighed. “I’m not mad with you. I’m mad that this is happening. Why didn’t you tell me about the guy looking in?”

“I didn’t think anything of it. You knew I didn’t think Jared would be able to get over here. I had no reason to think otherwise until now.”

He rubbed his forehead. “This isn’t good. What is he going to want? Money? What if he wants revenge?” Jon asked as the strands of patience began to snap. One by one.

“I don’t know Jon.”

“We need to get security. God!” He covered his face with his hands. “I feel like this is some twisted soap opera. This shit doesn’t happen to me!”

“It’s because I happened to you isn’t it?”

He spun around as she stood with her arms hugging herself. “That’s not what I meant.”

“I’ve ruined my father’s life and I’m about to ruin yours maybe you need to get out while you can then.”

He was angry but he wasn’t angry that she was right. He was angry because she was so wrong. “Is that what you think? That I want out? If I wanted out I would have gone. But I don’t walk away from problems Devon. I deal with them.” It came out harsh and not the way he intended.

“As opposed to me who runs right?” She snapped.

He raked his hand through his hair and sighed. “No that’s not what I meant.”
“It’s what you think though isn’t it?”

“Stop it.” He tugged her in and brushed back her hair. “Stop it.” He said softly as her eyes brimmed with tears. “I’m angry because you don’t have any faith in me that I meant that I said I would stick by you.”

“I don’t deserve it-”

“Hush. If you say that again. I really will leave. Now let’s just calm down, you’ve had a huge shock with your father coming over. And now we have to figure out if we have a lunatic after us.”

She took a deep breath and pressed her forehead against his. “I can’t believe he did what he did Jon. I should be overjoyed. But I feel so guilty for it.”

Jon smoothed his hands down her sides. “It is what happens when you become a parent. You take this silent oath that you will protect your children. Even if they hurt you.” He breathed in her scent for a couple of moments and then whispered. “They really should put that on condom packets.”

She chuckled and he smiled as he pressed his lips against her forehead. “You’re lucky you have a very good father Devon. He was only doing what any father would do. Trust me.”

“I am lucky. To have him and you. And Jonathan.”

“You told him huh?”

“He was great. He knew I’d come from somewhere I didn’t want to go back to. He figured I’d been in trouble but none of it mattered. I don’t deserve you guys.”

“If you say that again I really will have to hurt you.” He teased. “What happened to the Devon that was going to fight for me? Where is she now?” He knew this wasn’t her. She was scared and overwhelmed and he couldn’t really be angry at that.

“I know. “Her lips brushed against his. “I won’t let you down. And I won’t let him touch you. I swear to god if he comes near you or your family.”

The bitterness in her voice was strength. That’s what he needed to hear. That they would face this head on. He was used to leading, being the man in charge but this was different. He needed her for this. They needed each other. It scared him that he needed her in his life but at the same time it was wonderful.

“We’ll be ok. We don’t even know it’s him.”

“God. I hope it’s not. He might have just disappeared. That’s what Dad told him to do after he was released from prison but he had some people watching him to make sure he didn’t do anything. He didn’t for a year and now he’s just gone.”

He steadied them and pulled her in for a tight hug. He’d protect her. If he could throw money at the problem to make it go away he would be prepared to do it but he had a feeling that if it was Jared. He wasn’t going to ask for his two hundred and fifty thousand dollars back. He was going to ask for it with interest and then some.

“There’s one thing I am a little afraid of though.” Jon said clearly his throat as she stepped back.

“Oh?”

He grinned. “Your father.”

She laughed. “He’s always been like that. Once a cop always a cop. It was kind of touching to see him still do it now.”

“He still loves you Devon. He wouldn’t be here otherwise.” Jon checked his watch. “Why don’t you call him and I’ll arrange for us all to have dinner tonight?”

“That would be lovely. I think he’d like that and it would give you a chance to get to know him.”

Jon rolled his eyes. “Oh yeah. I am sure the trivial pursuit version of getting to know Jon will be fun.”

She tugged his arm and laughed. “He’s not that bad and c’mon I’m hardly dating an idiot.”

“Well-that is up for discussion.” He teased as their noses bumped.

“Do you have to go again quickly?” She asked as she pushed him back gently.

Jon narrowed his eyes. “No, why?” He’d seen that look before. The one that usually ended up with clothes flung over lamps and rails.

She tugged on his belt buckle in between steps backwards. “I need a break from reality for a few minutes.” She kicked off her shoes as they reached the stairs. She reached up on her tip-toes, with her fingers curled around the lapels of his coat and kissed him squarely. The anxiety briefly melted and he groaned as her hand slid south and cupped him.

“I could be persuaded.” He lied as his cock hardened instantly at her touch.

“You’re in luck. That’s what I’m good at.” She whispered as she nipped his chin.
He chuckled and his eyes narrowed as she stepped him up the stairs. She was sure something. Sometime together wouldn’t hurt and it would give him a chance to settle his nerves and then they could talk to her father tonight about what next.

6 comments:

  1. Aw I thought for a second there Devon was gonna do the "Im no good for you so its over" thing....so glad I was wrong.....very very wrong it seems...lol...Luv Devons dad...he seems like a great guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devon's dad is the Best dad he loves Devon no matter what and he is going to support her. It's like Jon said “It is what happens when you become a parent. You take this silent oath that you will protect your children. Even if they hurt you.” I have a great feeling that Devon's dad and Jon will do whatever they have to do to protect Devon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love persuasive Devon...;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the meeting between Devon's dad and Jon went better than when my dad met my husband for the first time that's for sure lol. Now that all parties know the possibility of Jared being in New York is there I am sure Jon and Devon's father will do everything within there power to keep her safe. Jon might want to add a little more security for his family as well. I love how no matter what is going on at the time Devon has her mind focused on the important things like getting all hot sweaty with Jon lol. I like how she thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Jon - a little on the back foot meeting Dad! But I think Dad can now see how good Jon and Devon are together. LOL - looking forward to a little "escape from reality" for the two of them in the next chapter, Kiwi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved what Jon said about understanding that a father would do anything for his children. I had a very similar discussion with my husband recently and he was exactly the same!

    I still keep waiting for Jared to appear though, it makes me uneasy but if we
    are going to get some lovin' I'm not complaining!

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?