Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chapter Twenty Three: It's a Guy Thing

"It's Saturday, c’mon stay here all day." He tipped her chin and kissed her cleanly on the lips, the lemon from his shower gel still lingered on her skin from the long shower they'd taken together this morning. He had trapped her at the door as she tried to escape his grasp for the day.

 Her fingers twisted around the lapels of his robe and her eyes fluttered as he kissed along her jaw. "Beauty doesn't stop just because it's Saturday. Kelly manages Saturdays but I still like to be in there just even if it's just floating around in the salon. I want to go over the business proposal before you see it."

He closed his eyes. "Shit. I knew we forgot something. Bring it back tonight and we'll go over it after dinner. Let me take you out somewhere and spoil you."

Her warm breath tickled his neck and her soft curves pressed against his skin. "Jon, you know you don't have to do that I'm perfectly content with eating in here or my place."

"No. We're going out. At least if we're out for dinner we'll actually eat and I won't get distracted by your lips or worse-“ His finger trailed down her neck along her shoulder and around the water-soft curve of her breast.

 She folded her arms in protest and raised her eyebrow. "What about my breasts?"

He grinned and ran his thumb across the nipple. "You know, they just need to be touched." Her eyes narrowed then she smiled. Whatever wonder woman thing she did to her eyes with her natural shadows they always popped with a deep blue.

"Where did you have in mind?"

His first thought was to take her to one of the top restaurants in the city he knew he could ring places and have a reservation in sort after places easier than most people. But that wasn't Devon at all. "How about I take you to a local place in New Jersey? I haven't been there for ages. It's quiet and the food is pretty good as well as the wine."

She reached his lips on her tip toes and smiled into the kiss. "Pick me up at seven."

 He locked his arms around her waist and linked his hands on her lower back. "I could pick you up right now. How about a quickie?" "You wish." "No, I know that I can make it happen. You know I can."

"Jon. I need to go." She attempted a frown but failed as the corners of her mouth twitched. He set her down and picked up her bag. "Don't forget to bring back a fresh overnight bag. I'm not letting you out the door this early tomorrow. Its sacrilege to be up this early on a day off just so you know."

She swung it over her shoulder and spun around winking at him from over her shoulder on her way out. "Harden up rock-star. See you at seven."

He closed the door shut and leaned against it for a second and chuckled. What an interesting night. From how it had started with his foul mood to the insane sex and his willingness to let her take over in the bedroom. It had been a good fucking night.

The way Dorothea had thrown Bruce going on vacation with his kids still pissed him off. It wasn't the fact she was with him it was just the fact that he couldn't control what his kids thought about him. Deep down he knew the guy was nice enough and he knew Dorothea was happy and that was the main thing. He was happy enough too with what he had going with Devon.

It was still early days but he was drawn to her in a way that he hadn't been drawn to a woman in a long time and he was interested enough to keep pursuing things with her. She was easy going and fun when they were alone in their own little world. He liked the idea that she was letting loose and that was a part of Devon he could have all to himself.

Behind the occasional wall she still kept up that is. The more he tried to dig into her past, she diverted him or wanted to run like she did earlier that morning and it was making him more determined to figure her out. There was sex appeal in the mystery and she ticked all the right boxes on the eyes but it was more than that. He was never compelled to share slices of him so easily and quickly but with Devon she had an ease about her that made it feel natural.

He rubbed his face and thought about heading up to his gym for six miles on the treadmill before starting the day. He had a million things he needed to do and all he felt like doing was flopping back down on his bed and going to sleep. The knock on the door stopped him in his train of thought but he grinned.

"I knew it." So she couldn't wait after all.

He swung open the door and grinned. "I knew you couldn't resist me." His face fell when Richie stood there with his shades on and dressed in a denim jacket and jeans.

"In your dreams." He snorted as he walked in without Jon's invitation as Richie always did.

"Expecting the blond angel I just passed in the lobby?" Richie walked into the kitchen and helped himself to the coffee mugs.

"Yes, I thought she'd come back for what I promised her before she left." Richie grinned.

"You guys have been dirty, haven't you?" Jon rolled his eyes and slid onto a bar stool. Richie poured him a cup of coffee and slid it across the breakfast bar to him.

"You know I don't discuss that shit anymore. We’re not in our twenties."

Richie wiggled his eyebrows. "You don't have to. Your wrists speak for themselves." 

Jon looked down at his wrists and his eyes widened. Angry red bands circled his wrists. Fuck.

"I dare you to even try and talk your way out of that one."

Fuck. Jon shrugged. "I must be allergic to something of hers." God that was lame and you know it.

"Allergic to being tied up and taken advantage of? I have to give you credit Kidd. I didn't think you'd ever let a woman do that to you. Liberating isn't it?"

Jon cringed. "Can we not discuss this?" He was a big boy but he knew Richie too well and he wasn't going to let this slide easily. 

Richie picked up a banana from his fruit bowl. "I knew she wouldn't be as innocent as she looks. Got yourself some girl there then?"

Jon sipped his coffee. "Yeah, looks like it."

"You don't sound convinced."

Jon looked up. "Huh? Oh yeah no, Devon's great."

"But..." Richie led in. Jon sighed. "This is going to sound arrogant than it's meant to be. I don't know a lot about her and its frustrating."

 "What do you mean?"

"She's reluctant to talk about herself, well anything about her past. I mean how does a girl travel over to the other side of the world and start a business in Soho? It’s not that easy unless you have a lot of money behind you. I could just be paranoid though.” But he knew he wasn't. She was fully about to walk out of him for the day after he'd pushed hard for information.

"Maybe she's just nervous. She's a little different to what you usually date."

"Oh, please enlighten me." He knew Richie was right but he was still pissed off in a way.

 "Relax dude. What I meant is she might just be taking her time with you. She's not exactly from in your circles is she?"

"Well no. And I get that. I come with baggage, a divorce and children." He rubbed the back of his neck.
"When she arrived last night I'd just finished an argument with Dorothea. She's going on vacation with Bruce and the kids."

"You told Devon all this?"

"Yeah, I couldn't help it. I was so angry. I behaved like an asshole to begin with when she arrived."

"She's got a pretty good insight into you. Maybe she's playing it close to her chest until she gets to know you more. You're a lot to take on Jon. I should know."

Richie as he always did lighten the mood with a playful smirk. Jon shot him a look then couldn't help chuckle at his long-time friend. "Yeah, I realize that. I don't even know why I give a shit about this."

"Because you've been hurt before. You won't admit that but I know you were hurt at the end of the divorce no matter what you say and you care about Devon."

"Jesus Richie. How many Dr Phil books have you been reading lately?"

Richie winked and shrugged. "You know me, I like to keep an open mind. I'm right though aren't I? Even if you don't want to admit it."

"Maybe." Jon mused. He was surprised on one level Richie had that much of an inside to him when he generally did keep this shit close to his chest but then on the other he wasn't really. Richie knew him pretty well and even when he didn't want to admit it, he was right more often than not. They certainly been through a lot over the last twenty five years together and although Jon didn't like to admit it, Richie had been there for him in ways he'd never thought possible.

"So relax, play a little and make her feel comfortable. Then she'll open up to you."

His shoulders relaxed a little. "And if she doesn't?"

"Hire a private detective."

Jon's brow raised but Richie frowned. "I was joking Sherlock. Just relax. Enjoy her and I gotta say she has to be worth it if she's twisting you up in knots bro-or tying up in your case." Richie winked and took a bite out of the banana.

"Ha ha asshole. Can we quit talking about that?" Jon rubbed his wrists and hissed. Clearly he’d been too distracted by Devon to notice that before.

"What, the fact you're into kinky shit? Fuck yeah. My brain doesn't need those visuals man. Just let it go and stop trying to control everything. Who knows you might actually have some fun."

 Jon rubbed the back of his neck. "I was having fun. I like being with her, she's different."

"See. I told you. You've got nothing to worry about Jon. I could tell when I met her she's got nothing to hide. She was just shy.” 

"She was naked under a coat Richie when you met her, of course you'd think that." Richie clutched his chest.

"Ouch man, that hurt." But he laughed and shook his head. "You're really wound up about this aren't you?" 

Jon blew out his breath and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I know and I shouldn't be." "Then relax. She seems like sweet girl with an obvious wild side." He wiggled his eyebrows.

Was he ready to take a chance on love? Jon didn't take chances on anything, he planned them and worked towards them but maybe that's where he'd gone wrong in the past with Dorothea. The dynamic with Devon was new and it was exciting so he had no reason not to just go with it. Who knows, he might just actually have some fucking fun.

"OK, enough about this let's get some writing started." He was keen to get started on writing as much as Richie was.

"Good man. See? I do know make some fucking sense once and awhile." Richie slapped Jon's shoulder as they walked up to the studio.

Jon snorted. "Yeah ya do." He wasn't entirely convinced but he was close. He'd back off a bit and see what he could bring out in her. Who knows, it might just be worth it.

8 comments:

  1. Wow I go to comment & I beat Max to it!!!! Lol. Hi Max (if you see this)! Lmao

    T,
    I'm so loving this!!! Of course the torture of finding out what Devon is hiding is almost as bad as waiting on a chapter!!!! Hey, you know me. I always give y'all grief!!! Lmao

    I loved Jon opening the door for it to only be Rich!! Plus I get the feeling her coat situation & Jon's wrists situation will be the brunt of Richie's comments for chapters to come!!!! Lol.

    Keep up the great work!!! Miss talking to you!!!

    Xoxo
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never laughed so hard in my life when Jon thought Devon was at the door and it was Richie!!!! I swear Richie knows how to lighten the mood.....I just wish Devon would tell Jon her story, but, like Richie told Jon to Relax!!!!

    Awesome story, Super Kiwi!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, that's funny Stacy!!

    Hmmmm, Richie you think you gonna get some writing done???? Jon will be rubbing those wrists and going off into the memory bank with a smile on his face!!!!!

    Could just picture Jons face opening the door seeing Richie.

    Another great chapter T!!!
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the chapter.
    Can't wait to find out what the deal is with Devon.

    Jon's wrists...... oh my.

    P

    ReplyDelete
  5. LMAO! "I must be allergic to something of hers" Smirk. Love the banter between Jon and Richie. Jon doesn't let go of control easily, we know. He's going to dig deeper, I can feel it! Next stop an intimate little Jersey eatery. Yummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love the banter between Jon and Richie! Too funny!

    Thanks for the post, can't wait to see how dinner in Jersey goes. Wink!

    This story is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be careful with those allergies Johnny boy, they can embarrass you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *snicker*
    Kinky shit indeed. I can hear Richie saying it.
    and yep...he's going to be suspicious now. Ahh the boys are used to full on TMI when it comes to women. The long for ones that don't share anything and then get suspicious when one's the way they want them!
    What?!

    Oy.
    LOL

    I love JnR scenes.

    and the little detail about the first sold-out show ticket...*le sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Will you share her secret?